Cardinal Falls to Arizona State, 6-1
March 31, 2007
Arizona State won the doubles point and five of six singles matches to avenge an earlier loss to Stanford by beating the Cardinal 6-1 today at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe, Ariz. The Sun Devils, who were beaten by Stanford 5-2 on February 23 at Stanford, moved to 2-0 in the Pacific-10 Conference while the Cardinal fell to 4-11 overall and 1-1 in the conference.
Stanford, which won 4-3 at Arizona yesterday, saw its only victory come at No. 3 singles where Blake Muller beat ASU's Wes Miller, 5-7, 6-0, 6-3. At No. 1 singles, Stanford's Richard Wire won the second set 6-3 to send the match to a third and deciding set, but the Sun Devil's Juan Carlos Rebaza came out on top 7-5.
The Cardinal's doubles team of Eric McKean and Kevin Kaiser won their match at No. 3 doubles over the Sun Devil's T.J. Bellama and Murilo Souza, 7-6 (6), but ASU won the point by winning at both No. 1 and No. 2.
Stanford will play four matches next week. The Cardinal will play at the Taube Tennis Center on April 3 vs. San Diego and April 4 vs. Santa Clara, then go on the road for Pac-10 matches at Oregon (Apr. 6) and Washington (Apr. 7)
Pacific-10 Conference: Arizona State 6, Stanford 1
March 31, 2007
Whiteman Tennis Center
Doubles (Arizona State wins doubles point)
1. Brooklyn/Miller (ASU) def. Matt Bruch/Muller (Stan.) 8-6
2. Hegarty/Rebaza (ASU) def. Wire/Paul Morrissey (Stan.) 8-4
3. McKean/Kaiser (Stan.) def. Bellama/Souza (ASU) 7-6 (6)
1. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) def. Richard Wire (Stan.) 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
2. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) def. Eric McKean (Stan.) 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-3
3. Blake Muller (Stan.) def. Wes Miller (ASU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-3
4. T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Jeff Zeller (Stan.) 6-3, 6-1
5. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Kevin Kaiser (Stan.) 7-5, 6-3
6. Murilo Souza (ASU) def. David Ryan (Stan.) 7-6 (4), 6-2
Records: Stanford (4-11, 1-1), No. 46 Arizona State (11-6, 2-0)