Men's Tennis Earns First Pac-10 Weekend Sweep in Program History, Defeating Stanford 6-1
March 31, 2007
TEMPE, Ariz. -- In their final home dual match of the season, the Arizona State men's tennis team has opened the Pac-10 regular season 2-0 with a 6-1 victory over the Stanford Cardinal Saturday at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe. Saturday's victory completes the weekend sweep of Pac-10 schools for the first time in school history. The Sun Devils improve to 11-6 overall on the season. The Cardinal are now 4-10 overall and 1-1 in Pac-10 play.
ASU came out strong in doubles taking two of the three matches. Freshman Matt Brooklyn and sophomore Wes Miller earned their 15th overall doubles victory on the season as they defeated Matt Bruch and Blake Muller, 8-6. Nick Hegarty and Juan Carlos Rebaza defeated Richard Wire and Paul Morrissey, 8-4, to seal the point.
In singles, Hegarty, playing in his final home match of his career, earned his 14th overall singles victory of the season as he defeated Kevin Kaiser 7-5, 6-3. Rebaza and Brooklyn also won their matches improving them to 2-0 in Pac-10 singles play and earning them both their 21st overall singles victories of the year. Bellama and freshman Murilo Souza also picked up victories for the Sun Devils.
Up next, Arizona State travels to Los Angeles to continue Pac-10 play against UCLA on Friday April 6 at 1:30 p.m. and at USC on Saturday, April 7 at 1 p.m.
1. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) def. Richard Wire (Stan.) 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
2. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) def. Eric McKean (Stan.) 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-3
3. Blake Muller (Stan.) def. Wes Miller (ASU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-3
4. T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Jeff Zeller (Stan.) 6-3, 6-1
5. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Kevin Kaiser (Stan.) 7-5, 6-3
6. Murilo Souza (ASU) def. David Ryan (Stan.) 7-6 (4), 6-2
1. Brooklyn/Miller (ASU) def. Matt Bruch/Muller (Stan.) 8-6
2. Hegarty/Rebaza (ASU) def. Wire/Paul Morrissey (Stan.) 8-4
3. McKean/Kaiser (Stan.) def. Bellama/Souza (ASU) 7-6 (6)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
Thu 3/22 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 4:00pm PTLive