USC Men Roll On, Sweep Oregon 7-0
March 31, 2007
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 9 USC men's tennis team rounded out back-to-back Pac-10 sweeps with a 7-0 decision over Oregon on Saturday afternoon at Marks Stadium. The Trojans bump their overall record to 16-1 with the win, and improve to 2-0 in Pac-10 action.
Once again, doubles was entirely under USC's control. Whit Livingston / Adam Loucks teamed up at the No. 3 slot and picked up the first win of the day with a near-perfect 8-1 decision. Jamil Al/Agba / Garrett Snyder won next, tacking up the pair's fifth straight win together to clinch the doubles point. At No. 1 Dejan Cvetkovic / Gary Sacks also nailed their fifth consecutive victory as a pair with an 8-5 win to bring up singles play.
In singles play, Robert Farah opened the day with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 3 over Ric Mortera to mark the fifth straight singles win for the freshman. Another freshman was next, as Gary Sacks made it eight straight wins with a 6-0, 6-2 victory at No. 4 over Mike Myrhed. Clinching the Trojans' team win on the day was Garrett Snyder, powering out a6-4, 6-2 win at the No. 6 spot to secure victory. #64 Jamil Al-Agba followed with a 6-1, 6-2 decision from his No. 1 position to mark a five-match win streak for the senior, just before #107 Kaes Van't Hof reached the same mark after a 6-4, 6-4 decision over Alexander Cornelissen at the No. 2 slot. Finishing off the day for the Trojans was freshman Jason McNaughton, who passed up Geoff Embry 6-3, 6-2 at No. 5.
USC returns to action next week as Pac-10 competition continues in L.A. with home matches against Arizona and Arizona State. USC hosts Arizona at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (April 6) and then ASU at 1 p.m. on Saturday (April 7). Saturday's match also marks Senior Day, honoring USC's four seniors, Jamil Al-Agba, Dejan Cvetkovic, Whit Livington and Garrett Snyder.
#9 USC 7, Oregon 0
March 31, 2007 - Marks Stadium
(1) Cvetkovic/Sacks (USC) def. Gallardo/Verdasco (ORE) - 8-5
(2) Al-Agba/Snyder (USC) def. Weichert/Cornelissen (ORE) - 8-3
(3) Livingston/Loucks (USC) def. Mortera/Embry (ORE) - 8-1
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
(1) #64 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Marcos Verdasco (ORE) - 6-1, 6-2
(2) #107 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Alexander Cornelissen (ORE) - 6-4, 6-4
(3) Robert Farah (USC) def. Ric Mortera (ORE) - 6-1, 6-1
(4) Gary Sacks (USC) def. Mike Myrhed (ORE) - 6-0, 6-2
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Geoff Embry (ORE) - 6-3, 6-2
(6) Garrett Snyder (USC) def. Francisco Gallardo (ORE) - 6-4, 6-2*
Order of finish: 3, 4, 6*, 1, 2, 5