Bears Take Down Arizona
March 31, 2007
TUCSON, Ariz. - The California men's tennis team got back on its winning ways on Saturday. The Golden Bears defeated Arizona, 4-3, to win their first Pac-10 match of the season. Cal improved to 11-7, 1-1 on the season.
The Bears were swept in doubles as the Wildcats took the opening point of the day. In singles, Cal took four of the six matches to earn the victory. Junior Ken Nakahara stayed red hot, notching another victory. He beat Ravid Hezi in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, on the third court. On the No. 2 court, sophomore Eoin Heavey won a hard-fought match against Bruno Alcala, 6-7, 7-5, 6-4.
Freshman Kallim Stewart and sophomore Geoff Chizever also earned straight-set victories. Chizever beat Peter Zimmer on the fifth court, 6-3, 6-2. Stewart beat Alex Labrosse on the sixth court, 6-4, 6-3.
Nakahara is now on an 11-match winning streak in singles. His winning streak dates back to Feb. 17 when he helped Cal beat UC Santa Barbara. Included in his winning streak is a victory over Arizona's Jason Labrosse on Feb. 23 when the Bears beat the Wildcats in Berkeley.
The Bears stay on the road next week when they travel to the Pacific Northwest for its next two conference matches. Cal squares off against Washington on Friday, April 6, at 1:30 p.m. The next day the Bears face Oregon at 1 p.m.
1. Claudio Christen (UA) def. No. 20 Pierre Mouillon (Cal) 6-0, 6-1
2. Eoin Heavey (Cal) def Bruno Alcala (UA) 6-7(5), 7-5, 6-4
3. Ken Nakahara (Cal) def. Ravid Hezi (UA) 6-4, 6-3
4. J. Labrosse (UA) def. Daniel Sebescen (UA) 6-3, 6-2
5. Geoff Chizever (Cal) def. Peter Zimmer (UA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Kallim Stewart (Cal) def A. Labrosse (UA) 6-4, 6-3
1. Christen/J. Labrosse (UA) def. Heavey/Chizever (Cal) 8-5
2. Alcala/Hezi (UA) def. Pettit/Stewart (Cal) 9-8(3)
3. Francois VanderMerwe/Zimmer (UA) def. Nakahara/Sebescen 9-8(6)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive