Wire's Win at No. 1 Singles Gives Stanford 4-3 Victory
April 3, 2007
Freshman Richard Wire won a thrilling three-set match over Thomas Liversage of USD to give Stanford a 4-3 win over the Toreros in a non-conference match at the Taube Tennis Center. Wire won the tie-breaker 7-4 in the third set to beat Liversage 7-6, 5-7, 7-6. It was the second time in the last three matches that Wire provided the clinching match.
Stanford improved its record to 5-11 after winning for the second time in the last three matches. On Friday in Tucson, it was Wire's win at No. 1 singles that was the difference in Stanford's 4-3 win over Arizona. The freshman from Essex, England, ranked No. 110 in the country, won his fourth match in his last five outings. Three of those wins have come against ranked opponents, including today's win over No. 47 Liversage.
Stanford swept all three doubles matches and took a 1-0 leading heading into singles. Blake Muller and Matt Bruch, ranked No. 26 in the nation, won their match at No. 1 doubles as they defeated the Torero's Thomas Liversage and Chris Coetzee, 8-5. Richard Wire and Paul Morrissey beat Jonas Mouly and Levon Brown, 8-3, at No. 2 doubles and Eric McKean and Kevin Kaiser won at No. 3 doubles by beating Charl Wolmarans and Matt Ozurovich, 8-5.
USD tied the match at 3-3 by winning three of the first five singles matches, setting up the deciding match at No. 1. Stanford recorded wins at No. 3 and No. 4 as Blake Muller and Kevin Kaiser each won in straight sets. Muller beat Jonas Mouly 7-5, 6-3 and Kaiser defeated Ryo Sekiguichi, 6-3, 6-4.
Stanford plays at home on Wednesday against Santa Clara. The match begins at 1:30 pm at the Taube Tennis Center.
Non-Conference: Stanford 4, San Diego 3
April 3, 2007
Taube Tennis Center
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. Thomas Liversage / Chris Coetzee (USD), 8-5
2. Richard Wire / Paul Morrissey (S) d. Jonas Mouly / Levon Brown (USD), 8-3
3. Eric McKean / Kevin Kaiser (S) d. Charl Wolmarans / Matt Ozurovich (USD), 8-5
1. No. 110 Richard Wire (S) No. 47 Thomas Liversage (USD), 7-6, 5-7, 7-6
2. Chris Coetzee (USD) d. Eric McKean (S) 6-3, 6-2
3. Blake Muller (S) Jonas Mouly (USD), 7-5, 6-3
4. Kevin Kaiser (S) Ryo Sekiguichi (USD), 6-3, 6-4
5. Charl Wolmarans (USD) d. Jeff Zeller (S), 6-1, 6-0
6. Matt Ozurovich (USD) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 6-3, 6-2
Records: Stanford (5-11), San Diego (8-9)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive