No. 1 Stanford Cruises Past No. 41 Washington State 7-0
April 6, 2007
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 1 Stanford opened its final homestand of the year with an emphatic 7-0 victory over No. 41 Washington State on Friday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Posting its fifth shutout of the year, the Cardinal (16-1, 4-0) has now won 13 consecutive matches and can go undefeated at home for the eighth straight season with a victory tomorrow against Washington on Senior Day, presented by the Cardinal Court Club.
The Cougars fall to 13-8 overall and 1-5 in the Pac-10. Washington State entered Friday's match having won four of its last five contets.
Stanford picked up the doubles point, claiming quick wins at the Nos. 1 and 3 positions. The Cardinal's top team of Lindsay Burdette and Anne Yelsey won 8-2 while the No. 3 tandem of Theresa Logar and Whitney Deason cruised 8-1.
Perhaps the most encouraging news from Friday's match came early on, when Jessica Nguyen returned to the court for the first time since Mar. 3 and teamed with Celia Durkin for an 8-5 victory at No. 2 doubles. Nguyen, who sports a 17-5 overall record and a No. 15 national ranking, was forced to sit out the last month due to a foot injury.
In singles action, Stanford collected three quick victories to clinch the match. Lejla Hodzic gave the Cardinal a 2-0 lead following one of her more impressive performances of the year, defeating Washington State's Kara Konomos 6-1, 6-0 at No. 6.
Yelsey, named Pac-10 Player of the Week on Monday, continued her recent success with a 6-0, 6-0 rout at No. 2 singles. Burdette followed with a 6-1, 6-0 triumph at No. 5 over Anastesia Opata.
Durkin and Deason trailed with two more straight-set wins at the Nos. 3 and 4 spots, respectively. Logar labored against Washington State's Ekaterina Burduli at the No. 1 spot, managing a 7-5, 6-3 victory.
No. 1 Stanford 7, No. 41 Washington State 0
1) No. 24 Burdette/Yelsey (STAN) d. Burduli/van de Ven (WSU) 8-2
2) No. 25 Durkin/Nguyen (STAN) d. Cekic/Stefanova (WSU) 8-5
3) Deason/Logar (STAN) d. Opata/Konomos (WSU) 8-1
order of finish: 3, 1, 2
Stanford wins doubles point; leads 1-0
1) No. 16 Theresa Logar (STAN) d. Ekaterina Burduli (WSU) 7-5, 6-3
2) No. 21 Anne Yelsey (STAN) d. Marjolein van de Ven (WSU) 6-0, 6-0
3) No. 9 Celia Durkin (STAN) d. Aleksandra Cekic (WSU) 6-1, 6-3
4) No. 76 Whitney Deason (STAN) d. Aleksandra Stefanova (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
5) No. 73 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Anastesia Opata (WSU) 6-1, 6-0
6) Lejla Hodzic (STAN) d. Kara Konomos (WSU) 6-1, 6-0
order of finish: 6, 2, 5, 3, 4, 1