No. 25 Women's Tennis Defeats No. 10 UCLA, 4-3
April 6, 2007
TEMPE, Ariz. - The No. 25 Arizona State Women's Tennis team defeated the No. 10 UCLA Bruins, 4-3, Friday at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe. The Sun Devils are now 3-2 in Pac-10 play and 10-8 overall. The loss was the first for the Bruins in the Pac-10; they are now 3-1 and drop to 12-6 overall.
The Sun Devils took an early 1-0 lead as they captured the doubles point. Senior Sabrina Capannolo and junior Jessica Leitch slugged it out with Stephanie Wetmore and Elizabeth Lumpkin to come up with a 9-8 (3) victory for the Devils. Senior Rebecca Rankin and sophomore Laila Abdala sealed the point with a 9-7 victory over Tracy Lin and Ashley Joelson.
In singles, senior Kady Pooler earned her 17th overall victory of the season with a 7-6 (5), 6-4 defeat over Lin. L. Abdala improved her overall win total to 18 as she topped Lumpkin 6-2, 6-2. Freshman Nadia Abdala, ranked no. 34, defeated Yasmin Schnack 7-6 (3), 4-6, 2-4 Ret. The win was her 20th overall, making her the first Sun Devil to reach 20 wins this season.
Up next, ASU hosts the No. 7 USC Trojans Saturday for another Pac-10 match up. The teams square off at noon PT at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe.
Complete Results from Friday:
1. Riza Zalameda (UCLA) def. Sabrina Capannolo (ASU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Nadia Abdala (ASU) def. Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) 7-6 (3), 4-6, 2-4 Ret.(30/15)
3. Kady Pooler (ASU) def. Tracy Lin (UCLA) 7-6 (5), 6-4
4. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Rebecca Rankin (ASU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Laila Abdala (ASU) def. Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Anna-Viktoria Lind (UCLA) def. Jessica Leitch (ASU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
1. Zalameda/Schnack (UCLA) def. Pooler/N. Abdala (ASU) 8-4
2. Capannolo/Leitch (ASU) def. Stephanie Wetmore/Lumpkin (UCLA) 9-8 (3)
3. Rankin/L. Abdala (ASU) def. Lin/Joelson (UCLA) 9-7
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive