No. 5 Cal Sweeps Husky Women
April 6, 2007
Berkeley, Calif. - Aleksandra Malovic debuted for the Washington Husky women's tennis team at the No. 1 singles spot, but the fifth-ranked Cal Bears swept the Huskies on Friday at Hellman Tennis Center. Washington dropped to 3-15 overall, 0-5 in Pac-10 play, while Cal won its 10th-straight match to improve their record to 18-3, 4-0.
Cal dropped just one set in sweeping all three doubles matches and the six singles points. The Bears jumped out to the 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point, but the Huskies did not go down without a fight. Joyce Ardies and Mathilde Cor fought hard in the No. 1 doubles match against the nation's No. 2 team of Susie Babos and Zsuzsanna Fodor, but eventually lost in a tiebreaker.
Cal did not let up in the singles matches. Malovic, who had missed the entire season with NCAA eligibility concerns, was instantly thrown into the fire in her debut. The freshman from the Netherlands faced Babos, the No. 4 player in the nation. Babos rudely welcomed Malovic to the league with a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 1.
Cor had her personal five-match win streak snapped, dropping a 6-1, 6-1 decision at the No. 2 singles spot to 19th-ranked Nina Henkel. Cor had established her streak from the No. 1 spot for the Huskies. It was the longest win streak of the season by a UW player.
Junior Tara Simpson was the lone Husky to win a set. She took the first set 6-2 over Marion Ravelojaona at the No. 4 match, but dropped the second set and a third-set super tie breaker.
Things don't get any easier for the Huskies tomorrow. They will face top-ranked Stanford at 12 p.m. down in Palo Alto, Calif.
No. 5 California 7, Washington 0
Cal (18-3, 4-0), Washington (3-15, 0-5)
Hellman Tennis Center; Berkeley, Calif.
1. #2 Babos/Zsuzsanna Fodor (Cal) def Ardies/Cor (UW), 8-7
2. Henkel/Kusano (CAL) def. Wong/Simspon (UW), 8-0
3. Ilcinkas/Bojana Bobusic (CAL) def. Malovic/Rainey (UW), 8-2
1. #4 Susie Babos (CAL) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 6-1, 6-0
2. #19 Nina Henkel (CAL) def. Mathilde Cor (UW), 6-1, 6-1
3. Stephanie Kusano (CAL) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 6-4, 6-2
4. Marion Ravelojaona (CAL) def. Tara Simpson (UW), 2-6. 6-3. 1-0
5. Cristina Visico (CAL) def. Melinda Wong (UW), 6-1, 6-1
6. Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) def. Allison Rainey (UW), 6-4, 6-0
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 2, 1, 6, 5, 3, 4
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive