No. 7 USC Women Post 5-2 Road Win Over No. 42 Arizona
April 6, 2007
TUCSON, ARIZ. - The No. 7 USC women's tennis team extended its winning streak to 10 straight dual matches as the Women of Troy notched their fourth Pac-10 win of the year in a 5-2 decision at No. 42 Arizona on Friday afternoon. USC is now 15-2 on the year overall and 4-0 in Pac-10 action as it heads into tomorrow's match at #25 Arizona State.
Behind two solid doubles wins from USC's #43 Sarah Fansler / Dianne Matias and #53 Judy DeVera / Amanda Fink, the Women of Troy swiftly secured the doubles point in the match. Lindsey Nelson / Julie Smekodub were upended in a tiebreaker at the No. 1 position, but USC already had the 1-0 lead in the match. DeVera/Fink's 8-2 victory at the No. 2 spot kept the pair undefeated in dual match play for a 15-0 run and a 23-4 overall record.
As the teams moved into singles action, USC stayed in control. Aside from unexpected upsets of #10 Lindsey Nelson and #12 Sarah Fansler at the top two singles positions, respectively, the Women of Troy had the upper hand throughout. #97 Dianne Matias started things off with a shortened win over Tina Razloznik at No. 6 with a 6-3, 1-0 (def.) decision for a 2-0 USC edge. Anca Anastasiu and Amanda Fink dished out a one-two punch to decide the match. Anastasiu topped Camelia Todorova 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4, and then Fink clinched things with her 6-1, 7-5 win over Natalia Toporowska at No. 3, also marking the sophomore's sixth straight singles win. With the match in-hand, Julie Smekodub went ahead and extended USC's advantage with a 6-2, 1-6, (10-3) win over Katie Orletsky at No. 5. The match closed down with Fansler falling 7-5, 6-3 to Arizona's Juliette Mavroleon, just before Nelson was edged out of a possible third set by #91 Danielle Steinberg's 6-4, 6-7 (4) victory.
USC now looks to top Arizona State for the second time this season when the Trojans travel to Tempe, facing the #25 Sun Devils at 12 p.m. on Saturday (April 7).
#7 USC 5, #42 Arizona 2
April 6, 2007 - Tucson, Ariz.
(1) Steinberg/Mavroleon (UA) def. Nelson/Smekodub (USC) - 8-7(2)
(2) #53 DeVera/Fink (USC) def. Rochefort/Todorova (UA) - 8-2
(3) #43 Fansler/Matias (USC) def. Toporowska/Orletsky (UA) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
(1) #91 Danielle Steinberg (UA) def. #10 Lindsey Nelson (USC) - 6-4, 7-6(4)
(2) Juliette Mavroleon (UA) def. #12 Sarah Fansler (USC) - 7-5, 6-3
(3) Amanda Fink (USC) def. Natalia Toporowska (UA) - 6-1, 7-5*
(4) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Camelia Todorova (UA) - 6-3, 6-1
(5) Julie Smekodub (USC) def. Katie Orletsky (UA) - 6-2, 1-6, (10-3)
(6) #97 Dianne Matias (USC) def. Tina Razloznik (UA) - 6-3, 1-0 (def.)
Order of finish: 6, 4, 3*, 5, 2, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 11/24 | 12:00pm PTLive