No. 1 Stanford Sweeps Husky Women
April 7, 2007
Stanford, Calif. - Top-ranked Stanford flexed its muscles against the Washington Husky women's tennis team, beating the visitors 7-0 in a Pac-10 Conference match at Taube Family Tennis Center on Saturday. The defending NCAA Champion Cardinal (17-1, 4-0) won all three doubles matches by an 8-2 score and dropped just two sets in the sweep of the Huskies (3-16, 0-6).
Stanford paraded out a lineup that featured two ranked doubles teams and five ranked singles teams, plus had history decidedly on its side. The Cardinal entered the match 17-0 all-time against the Dawgs and was able to add to their dominance over the UW.
After sweeping the doubles point, Stanford kept the pressure on the Huskies in singles. Washington was only able to win two sets as the Cardinal won all six singles points.
Junior Tara Simpson dropped the first set at No. 4 against No. 76 Whitney Deason before rallying to win the second set 6-3. Deason was able to compose herself and shutout Simpson in the third, 6-0.
Junior Allison Rainey also pushed her opponent to the limit. Rainey won the first set 7-5 over Lejla Hodzic at No. 6, before Hodzic rallied to win the second 7-5. The two played a super tie breaker to decide the match and Hodzic was able to record a 10-8 victory.
Stanford won with relative ease at the other four singles spot. No. 9 ranked Celia Durkin was first off the court for the Cardinal with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Joyce Ardies at No. 3. No. 16 Therese Logar finished closely behind at No. 1. Aleksandra Malovic took the first game of the first set but dropped the next 12 to Logar.
The Huskies will take the next two weeks off before returning to the court on April 21. Washington will host cross-state rivals Washington State at 12 p.m. in the second to last regular season match of the season.
Saturday, April 7, 2007; Stanford, Calif.
Washington (3-16, 0-6) at #1 Stanford (17-1, 4-0)
Stanford 7, UW 0
1. #24 Burdette/Yelsey (STAN) def. Ardies/Cor (UW), 8-2
2. #25 Durkin/Jessica Nguyen (STAN) def. Wong/Simspon (UW), 8-2
3. Deason/Logar (STAN) def. Malovic/Rainey (UW), 8-2
1. #16 Therese Logar (STAN) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 6-1, 6-0
2. #21 Anne Yelsey (STAN) def. Mathilde Cor (UW), 6-4, 6-2
3. #9 Celia Durkin (STAN) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 6-1, 6-0
4. #76 Whitney Deason (STAN) def. Tara Simpson (UW), 6-1, 3-6, 6-0
5. #73 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) def. Melinda Wong (UW), 6-2, 6-2
6. Lejla Hodzic (STAN) def. Allison Rainey (UW), 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 3, 1, 5, 2, 4, 6
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 12:30pm PTLive