No. 1 Women's Tennis Perfect At Home...Again
April 7, 2007
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 1 Stanford closed out an undefeated home schedule with a 6-1 victory over Washington on Saturday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Posting a 12-0 record in home matches this year, Stanford has now won 95 consecutive regular-season dual matches on its home court. The Cardinal has not dropped a regular season home match since Feb. 27, 1999, when No. 4 California pulled a 5-4 upset.
Winners of 14 in a row, Stanford improves to 17-1 overall and 5-0 in the Pac-10 while Washington falls to 3-16 and 0-6 in league action.
Saturday's match also represented Senior Day for Stanford's Theresa Logar and Anne Yelsey, who were honored in a ceremony following the completion of doubles play. Since arriving on The Farm in 2003, Logar and Yelsey have captured three NCAA championships, three Pac-10 crowns and compiled an incredible 103-1 dual match record.
The Cardinal took a 1-0 lead on the Huskies after sweeping all three doubles matches by identical 8-2 margins.
In singles, Stanford tallied straight-set victories at four of the six spots. Celia Durkin overwhelmed Washington's Joyce Ardies 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 3 position to give the Cardinal a 2-0 edge. Logar followed with a 6-1, 6-0 victory at the No. 1 spot, ripping an ace past Washington's Aleksandra Malovic for the final match point and a 3-0 advantage.
Quick wins by Lindsay Burdette and Yelsey at Nos. 5 and 2, respectively, provided Stanford with a 5-0 lead.
Washington earned its only point at No. 4 singles when Tara Simpson edged Whitney Deason 1-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6).
Lejla Hodzic hung on for a Cardinal victory at No. 6 with a 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8) decision.
Stanford plays its final three regular-season matches on the road, beginning with next weekend's road trip to No. 10 UCLA and No. 7 USC.
No. 1 Stanford 6, Washington 1
1) No. 24 Burdette/Yelsey (STAN) d. Ardies/Cor (WASH) 8-2
2) No. 25 Durkin/Nguyen (STAN) d. Simpson/Wong (WASH) 8-2
3) Deason/Logar (STAN) d. Malovic/Rainey (WASH) 8-2
1) No. 16 Theresa Logar (STAN) d. Aleksandra Malovic (WASH) 6-1, 6-0
2) No. 21 Anne Yelsey (STAN) d. Mathilde Cor (WASH) 6-4, 6-2
3) No. 9 Celia Durkin (STAN) d. Joyce Ardies (WASH) 6-1, 6-0
4) Tara Simpson (WASH) d. No. 76 Whitney Deason (STAN) 1-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
5) No. 73 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Melida Wong (WASH) 6-2, 6-2
6) Lejla Hodzic (STAN) d. Allison Rainey (WASH) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive