No. 9 USC Streaks On, Tops No. 43 ASU 5-2
April 7, 2007
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 9 USC men's tennis team propelled its way through more Pac-10 competition with a 5-2 win over visiting No. 43 Arizona State on Saturday at Marks Stadium. Celebrating Senior Day at Troy, USC cleaned up in doubles before reeling off four straight singles wins to grab victory. USC is now 18-1 overall and a perfect 4-0 in Pac-10 action.
In doubles, USC tacked up three solid wins. Senior Whit Livingston teamed up with junior Kaes Van't Hof to top ASU's Bellama/Souza 8-3, followed by senior Dejan Cvetkovic's solid pairing with freshman Gary Sacks to grab the #58-ranked pair's 8-4 victory at the No. 1 slot for the duo's seventh straight victory. All-senior pair Jamil Al-Agba / Garrett Snyder also grabbed their seventh in a row with an 8-2 victory that brought up singles play.
Four quick singles wins were notched by the Trojans to secure the win. Freshman Robert Farah started the trend with a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 4, and then Van't Hof won 6-3, 6-3 at No. 3 to put USC within a point of victory. Freshman Jason McNaughton served up the clincher for the second straight match, winning 6-2, 6-0 at No. 6 for a 4-0 USC lead. Sacks won out next in a 6-2, 6-4 decision at No. 4. In the final two singles matches, Al-Agba and Cvetkovic were downed at the No. 1 and No. 2 slots, respectively.
USC finishes out a smooth, 15-0 run at Marks Stadium with the win, closing out an undefeated home run through the regular season. USC now turns to continue Pac-10 competition on the road with a trip north to visit Cal on April 13 and Stanford on April 14.
#9 USC 5, #43 ASU 2
(1) #58 Cvetkovic/Sacks (USC) def. #57 Brooklyn/Miller (ASU) -- 8-4
(2) Al-Agba/Snyder (SUSC) def. Hegarty/Rebaza (ASU) -- 8-2
(3) Livingston/Van't Hof (USC) def. Bellama/Souza (ASU) -- 8-3
USC wins doubles.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
(1) Brooklyn (ASU) def. #45 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) -- 6-0, 6-3
(2) #96 Rebaza (ASU) def. #44 Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) -- 6-4, 2-6, (10-8)
(3) #101 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Miller (ASU) -- 6-3, 6-3
(4) Robert Farah (USC) def. Bellama (ASU) -- 6-1, 6-4
(5) Gary Sacks (USC) def. Hegarty (ASU) -- 6-2, 6-4
(6) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Souza (ASU) -- 6-2, 6-0*
Order of finish: 4, 3, 6*, 5, 1, 2
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 1/26 | 6:30pm PTLive