Washington Beats Cardinal 6-1 in Seattle
April 7, 2007
Stanford saw its three-match winning streak come to an end today in Seattle as the No. 33 ranked Huskies swept all six singles matches en route to a 6-1 victory over the Cardinal in a Pac-10 match at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. Stanford, which had won its last three and four of its last five, saw their record dip to 7-12 overall and 2-2 in the conference.
The Cardinal led 1-0 after Matt Bruch and Blake Muller beat Daniel Chu and Alex Slovic, 8-6, at No. 1 to clinch the point for Stanford. Richard Wire and Paul Morrissey beat Patrik Fischer and Michael Ricks at No. 2 doubles, but Washington came back to win at No. 3, setting up the deciding match at No. 1.
The Huskies, however, quickly erased Stanford's lead by winning at No. 4 and No. 6 to take a 2-1 lead. Eric McKean was defeated at No. 4 in straight sets to Fischer, 6-2, 6-1, and Jeff Zeller lost to Ricks, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 6.
After Derek Drabble beat Kevin Kaiser, 6-3, 6-4, the Huskies led 3-1 and were on the brink of winning the match. Shortly thereafter, Andy Kuharszky defeated Blake Muller, 6-3, 7-6, at No. 3, to clinch the match for Washington.
The final two matches went to a third set tie-breaker with Washington winning both, 11-9. First it was Daniel Chu handing Richard Wire a 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 defeat at No. 2. Matt Bruch, playing in his first singles match since Feb. 18 at the National Team Indoors, lost to Alex Slovic in a very competitive match at No. 1 singles. Bruch won the first set, 7-6 and lost 6-4 in the second set, but Slovic was able to put together an 11-9 win in a third set tie-breaker to win the match.
Pac-10 Conference: Washington 6, Stanford 1
April 7, 2007
Nordstrom Tennis Center
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. No. 27 Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. No. 43 Daniel Chu / Alex Slovic (W), 8-6
2. Richard Wire / Paul Morrissey (S) d. Patrik Fischer / Michael Ricks (W), 8-6
3. Andy Kuharszky / Derek Drabble (W) d. Eric McKean / Kevin Kaiser (S), 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Alex Slovic (W) d. Matt Bruch (S), 6-7, 6-4, 1-0
2. Daniel Chu (W) d. No. 74 Richard Wire (S), 4-6, 6-3, 1-0
3. Andy Kuharszky (W) d. Blake Muller (S), 6-3, 7-6
4. Patrik Fischer (W) d. Eric McKean (S), 6-2, 6-1
5. Derek Drabble (W) d. Kevin Kaiser (S), 6-3, 6-4
6. Michael Ricks (W) d. Jeff Zeller (S), 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1
Records: Stanford (7-12, 2-2), Washington (13-6, 1-3)