No. 19 Pepperdine Beats Cardinal, 4-3
April 11, 2007
Stanford began this week's 'Stanford Challenge' by losing a hard fought 4-3 decision today to defending national champion Pepperdine. The Cardinal, which tied the match at 3-3, but lost the deciding match 6-1 in the third set, fell to 7-13 overall while the Waves. Ranked 19th in the country, improved to 14-7. Stanford continues the 'Stanford Challenge' with matches on Friday vs. UCLA and Saturday vs. USC at the Taube Tennis Center.
Pepperdine held a 3-2 lead with two matches to play, but after Kevin Kaiser beat Omar Altmann 7-6, 7-5 at No. 5 singles to tie the score, the Waves quickly ended the match when Bassam Beidas finished off Richard Wire at No. 2 singles 7-6, 6-7, 6-1.
The match went back-and-forth throughout the day as the teams were tied at 1-1, 2-2 and 3-3. Pepperdine won the doubles point by winning at No. 2 and No. 3 after Stanford struck first with a win at No. 1 doubles. Matt Bruch and Blake Muller, the 27th ranked team in the country, beat No. 40 Omar Altmann and Richard Johnson, 8-3. Stanford's Eric McKean and Kevin Kaiser were tied 4-4 in their match at No. 3, but Pepperdine's Bassam Beidas and James Lemke won four straight games to win the deciding match, 8-4 and give the Wave's a 1-0 lead.
Blake Muller tied the score at 1-1 for Stanford with a 6-0, 6-3 win over James Lemke at No. 3 and Erick McKean tied the score at 2-2 by beating Richard Johnson 6-4, 6-4 at No. 4. But, the Waves took a 3-2 lead on Mahmoud Kamel's victory over David Ryan at No. 6 and saw Beidas well ahead of Wire in the third set of their deciding match at No. 2.
Stanford will play 10th ranked UCLA on Friday at 1:30 pm and 8th ranked USC Saturday at 1:00 at the Taube Tennis Center.
Non-Conference: Pepperdine 4, Stanford 3
April 11, 2007
Taube Tennis Center
Doubles (Pepperdine wins doubles point)
1. No. 27 Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. No. 40 Omar Altmann/Richard Johnson (P), 8-3
2. Andrew Begemann/ Mahmoud Kamel (P) d. Richard Wire / Paul Morrissey (S), 8-5
3. Bassam Beidas/James Lemke (P) d. Eric McKean / Kevin Kaiser (S), 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. No. 13 Andrew Begemann (P) d. Matt Bruch (S), 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 80 Bassam Beidas (P) d. No. 75 Richard Wire (S), 7-6, 6-7, 6-1
3. Blake Muller (S) d. James Lemke (P), 6-0, 6-3
4. Eric McKean (S) d. Richard Johnson (P), 6-4, 6-4
5. Kevin Kaiser (S) d. Omar Altmann (P), 7-6, 7-5
6. Mahmoud Kamel (P) d. David Ryan (S), 7-5, 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 4, 6, 5, 2
Records: Stanford (7-13), Pepperdine (14-7)
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive