No. 10 Bruins Beat Stanford , 5-2
April 13, 2007
Tenth-ranked UCLA erased a 1-0 deficit after doubles play and won the first five singles matches en route to a 5-2 victory over Stanford in a Pac-10 match today at the Taube Tennis Center. The Cardinal, which hosts USC on Saturday in the final match of 'The Stanford Challenge,' are now 7-14 overall and 2-3 in the conference. The Bruins lead the league with a 5-0 mark and are 17-3 overall.
Stanford won all three doubles matches and took a 1-0 lead and momentum into singles play. The Bruins, however, proved too strong in singles as they won at Nos. 4, 2, 6, and 1 to secure the win. The clinching match came at No. 1 singles where defending national champion Benjamin Kohlloeffel, currently ranked No. 4 in the country, beat Stanford's Matt Bruch 7-6, 6-3.
In doubles play, Bruch and teammate Blake Muller, ranked No. 27, had an impressive win over Kohlloeffel and Philipp Grundler, ranked No. 12, as they won 8-5. Moments later, Stanford won the doubles point after Eric McKean and Richard Wire scored an 8-5 victory over UCLA's Mathieu Dehaine and Jeremy Drean.
Stanford's lone win in singles play came after the Bruins had a 5-1 lead. Muller overcame a 6-1 defeat in the first set to beat Chris Surapol, ranked No. 53 in the nation, 6-4, 6-2 in the final two sets.
Stanford and USC, the eighth-ranked team in the country, face off Saturday at 1:00 pm at the Taube Tennis Center. The Cardinal concludes its regular season with home matches against UOP on April 17 and California on April 21.
Pac-10 Conference: UCLA 5, Stanford 2
April 13, 2007
Taube Tennis Center
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. No. 27 Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. No. 12 Benjamin Kohlloeffel/Philipp Grundler (UCLA), 8-5
2. Kevin Kaiser / Paul Morrissey (S) d. Michael Look/Chris Surapol (UCLA), 7-6
3. Eric McKean / Richard Wire (S) d. Mathieu Dehaine/Jeremy Drean (UCLA), 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3*, 2
1. No. 4 Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) d. Matt Bruch (S), 7-6, 6-3
2. Philipp Grundler (UCLA) d. No. 75 Richard Wire (S), 7-5, 7-5
3. Blake Muller (S) d. No. 53 Chris Surapol (UCLA), 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) d. Eric McKean (S), 6-2, 6-2
5. Michael Look (UCLA) d. Kevin Kaiser (S), 4-6, 6-3, 1-0
6. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) d. Jeff Zeller (S), 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 2, 6, 1*, 5, 3
* clinching match
Records: Stanford (7-14, 2-3), UCLA (17-3, 5-0)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 5:30pm PTLive