No. 8 Cal Loses A Tough Match To No. 7 USC
April 13, 2007
LOS ANGELES - In a match between two top-10 teams, No. 7 USC outlasted No. 8 California, 4-3, Friday afternoon at Marks Stadium. The Golden Bears swept all three doubles matches, but were only able to win two of the singles matches.
The match was decided on the No. 1 court where fourth-ranked Susie Babos was knocked off by Lindsey Nelson, 6-7, 7-5, 6-1. Babos and Nelson traded sets before the Trojan won the third set decisively.
No. 19 Nina Henkel extended her winning streak to nine with her victory over Amanda Fink, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4. In addition to her winning streak, the freshman has also won her last 16 of 17 singles matches. After getting off to a sluggish start, dropping the first set 6-2, Henkel came back to take the next two sets, 6-4, 6-4.
The other singles win for the Golden Bears came on the fourth court. Stephanie Kusano notched a straight-set victory over Anca Anastasiu, 7-5, 6-2. The first set was a close 7-5 win for Kusano. The junior took it to Anastasiu in the second set, recording a 6-2 victory.
The high point of the match for Cal was winning all three doubles matches. The second-ranked duo of Babos and Zsuzsanna Fodor won a tight 9-8 decision over Nelson and Julie Smekodub. The second court featured another close match as Henkel and Kusano tallied a victory over Judy DeVera and Fink, 9-7. Sophomore Bojana Bobusic and Claire Ilcinkas completed the sweep with an 8-3 win over Sarah Fansler and Dianne Matias.
The Bears get back on the courts tomorrow at 12 pm when Cal faces No. 13 UCLA at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
(1) No. 10 Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. No. 4 Susie Babos (Cal) - 6-7 (4), 7-5, 6-1
(2) No. 12 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. No. 13 Zsuzsanna Fodor (Cal) - 7-5, 7-5M
(3) No. 19 Nina Henkel (Cal) def. Amanda Fink (USC) -2-6, 6-3, 6-4
(4) Stephanie Kusano (Cal) def. Anca Anastasiu (USC) - 7-5, 6-2
(5) Dianne Matias (USC) def. Marion Ravelojaona (Cal) - 6-0, 6-1
(6) Judy DeVera (USC) def. Cristina Visico (Cal) -6-5, 7-6 (2)
Order of finish:
5, 4, 2, 6, 3, 1
(1) No. 2 Babos/Fodor (Cal) def Nelson/Smekodub (USC) - 9-8 (7)
(2) Henkel/Kusano (Cal) def. DeVera/Fink (USC) - 9-7
(3) Bobusic/Ilcinkas (Cal) def. Fansler/Matias (USC) - 8-3
Order of finish:
3, 2, 1