No. 8 USC Men Stay Perfect In Pac-10 With 6-1 Win At Cal
April 13, 2007
BERKELEY, CALIF. - The No. 8 USC men's tennis team was overwhelming once again, this time notching a smooth 6-1 win over host No. 42 California on Friday afternoon in Berkeley. USC is now the proud owner of a 19-1 overall record and a clean 5-0 in Pac-10 action as they turn to face No. 50 Stanford on Saturday (April 14) at 1 p.m. in Palo Alto. USC is working toward an undefeated conference season - last reached in 1987. Still left on the Trojans' 2007 schedule in Pac-10 action are Stanford and UCLA -- both of which USC has beaten once this season in nonconference matches.
In Friday's match in Berkeley, USC pounded out the doubles point with a sweep. Starting with #38 Robert Farah / Kaes Van't Hof's 8-5 win at No. 1, which tallied the pairs sixth straight win and 17th of the year, USC was on track. At the No. 2 and No. 3 spots, USC had both teams keep their respective undefeated records intact. Both # 58 Dejan Cvetkovic / Gary Sacks and Jamil Al-Agba / Garrett Snyder now boast 8-0 records with their matching 8-6 victories on Friday.
As the teams moved into singles play, Robert Farah and #45 Jamil Al-Agba tacked up the only two straight-set wins of the day. Farah won out first in a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4, and then Al-Agba upset Cal's #27 Pierre Mouillon with a 7-6 (3), 6-0 decision at the No. 1 slot. From there it was three-set matches the rest of the way. At No. 6, Jason McNaughton clinched the match once again once he regained control of his match and tacked up a 1-6, 6-2, 6-3 decision. #101 Kaes Van't Hof followed suit, overcoming a first-set deficit to win 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-3 at No. 3. Then, Gary Sacks mirrored that effort, digging out of a loss in the first to win the freshman's 11th straight match in a 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 victory at No. 5. With USC already holding the win at 6-0, Cal's Tyler Browne was able to fight back against USC's #44 Dejan Cvetkovic, notching the Bears' lone point of the match with a 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4 decision that rounded out the action on the day.
#8 USC 6, #42 California 1
April 13, 2007 - Berkeley, Calif.
(1) #38 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Browne/Pettit (Cal) - 8-5
(2) #58 Cvetkovic/Sacks (USC) def. Chizever/Heavey (Cal) - 8-6
(3) Al-Agba/Snyder (USC) def. Mouillon/Sebescen (Cal) - 8-6
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
(1) #45 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. #27 Pierre Mouillon (Cal) - 7-6 (3), 6-0
(2) Tyler Browne (Cal) def. #44 Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) - 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4
(3) #101 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Eoin Heavey (Cal) - 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-3
(4) Robert Farah (USC) def. Daniel Sebescen (Cal) - 6-2, 6-1
(5) Gary Sacks (USC) def. Ken Nakahara (Cal) - 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
(6) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Kallim Stewart (Cal) - 1-6, 6-2, 6-3*
Order of finish: 4, 1, 6*, 3, 5, 2