No. 8 USC Tops Cal, 6-1
April 13, 2007
BERKELEY - Senior Tyler Browne was able to prevent a sweep by No. 8 USC over California, Friday afternoon at the Hellman Tennis Center, when he won the last match of the day. The Trojans knocked off the Golden Bears, 6-1.
Browne defeated Dejan Cvetkovic, 3-6, 7-6, 6-4. After dropping the first set, Browne rallied from a 5-3 deficit to take the second set. With the third set tied at three, Browne won the next three out of four games to win the set and the match.
On the top court, junior Pierre Mouillon was trailing Jamil Al-Agba in the first set, 4-1, when he mounted a comeback and tied the set at six. Al-Agba won the tiebreaker and then carried that momentum into the second set, defeating Mouillon 7-6, 6-0.
Doubles didn't go well for the Bears either, as USC won all three matches. Cal's top doubles team of Browne and senior John Pettit held a 4-3 lead at one point in its match, but couldn't hold on and fell to Robert Fara and Kaes Van't Hof, 8-5.
The challenges don't get any easier for the Bears. Tomorrow at 1 p.m. they tangle with No. 10 UCLA at the Hellman Tennis Center. The match is also Senior Day for Browne, Pettit and Daniel Sebesecen.
1. Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Pierre Mouillon (Cal) 7-6, 6-0
2. Tyler Browne (Cal) def. Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
3. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Eoin Heavey (Cal) 6-7, 6-2, 6-3
4. Robert Fara (USC) def. Daniel Sebescen (Cal) 6-2, 6-1
5. Gary Sacks (USC) def. Ken Nakahara (Cal) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Kallim Stewart (Cal) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
1. Fara/Van't Hof (USC) def. Browne/John Pettit (Cal) 8-5
2. Cvetkovic/Sacks (USC) def. Geoff Chizever/Heavey (Cal 8-6
3. Al-Agba/Garrett Snyder (USC) def. Mouillon/Sebescen (Cal) 8-6
Order of Finish:
Singles: 4, 1, 6, 3, 5, 2
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
TOMORROW | 11:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive