Yelsey's Victory Clinches 4-3 Win At No. 13 UCLA
April 13, 2007
STANFORD, Calif.- Anne Yelsey's 7-6, 6-4 victory at No. 2 singles clinched a 4-3 victory for No. 1 Stanford over No. 13 UCLA on Friday afternoon in Los Angeles.
Entering arguably its most challenging week of the year, Stanford won the doubles point before UCLA rallied back to knot the match at 3-3. The contest was decided at No. 2 singles, as Yelsey notched her 10th consecutive win with a hard-fought decision against UCLA's Tracy Lin.
Stanford extends its winning streak to 15 and improves to 18-1 overall and 6-0 in the Pac-10. UCLA falls to 13-7 overall and 4-2 in league play. It's a good start to a tough road trip for the Cardinal, which battles co-Pac-10 leader No. 7 USC on Saturday afternoon.
The match began with Stanford capturing the doubles point for a 1-0 lead, thanks to victories at the Nos. 1 and 3 spots after UCLA claimed the first win at No. 2. Trailing 8-7, Stanford's No. 3 team of Whitney Deason and Theresa Logar battled back for a 9-8 victory to secure the doubles point.
UCLA's Stephanie Wetmore quickly made it 1-1 with a 6-0, 6-3 victory at No. 6 spot. The Bruins also picked up wins at the Nos. 3 and 4 spots, becoming the first opponent to record three points against Stanford since the Cardinal defeated Arizona State 4-3 on Feb. 23.
No. 1 Stanford 4, No. 13 UCLA 3
1) No. 24 Burdette/Yelsey (STAN) d. Zalameda/Joelson (UCLA) 8-6
2) No. 33 Lumpkin/Wetmore (UCLA) d. No. 25 Durkin/Nguyen (STAN) 8-5
3) Deason/Logar (STAN) d. Lin/Lind (UCLA) 9-8
1) No. 16 Theresa Logar (STAN) d. No. 22 Riza Zalameda (UCLA) 6-4, 6-4
2) No. 21 Anne Yelsey (STAN) d. No. 49 Tracy Lin (UCLA) 7-6, 6-4
3) Ashley Joelson (UCLA) d. No. 9 Celia Durkin (STAN) 6-1, 6-0
4) Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) d. No. 76 Whitney Deason (STAN) 6-2, 6-4
5) No. 73 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Anna-Viktoria Lind (UCLA) 6-2, 6-2
6) Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) d. Lejla Hodzic (STAN) 6-0, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive