Bears Swept by UCLA on Senior Day
April 14, 2007
BERKELEY - No. 10 UCLA spoiled Senior Day for California with a 7-0 sweep over the Golden Bears, Saturday afternoon at the Hellman Tennis Center. With the loss, Cal lowered its record to 13-9, 3-3.
The Bears were able to win one doubles match against the Bruins. On the second court, the duo of sophomores Geoff Chizever and Eoin Heavey won a tough match against Haythem Abid and Chris Surapol, 9-7. Neither pair held a lead of more than one game. Heavey and Chizever trailed 7-6 before taking the next three games to win the match.
In singles, No. 27 Pierre Mouillon took on fourth-ranked and defending NCAA singles champion Ben Kohlloeffel on the top court. Kohlloeffel won a decisive first set and led the second set, 5-2, when Mouillon started a comeback and tied the set at five. Kohlloeffel was on the verge of ending the match when he took the next game, but Mouillon won the following two games to send the match to a third set. In the third set, Kohlloeffel dominated once again and won the match.
Senior Tyler Browne, making his final appearance in front of the home fans, was closing in on a straight-set victory over Abid, but Abid hung on to win the set. In the third set Browne was forced to retire due to an injury.
The other two Cal seniors, John Pettit and Daniel Sebescen, fell in their matches as well. Pettit lost in doubles with Browne on the No. 1 court. The duo lost to No. 12 Kohlloeffel and Philipp Greundler, 8-5. Pettit and Browne led the match 5-3 at one point, but the Bruin tandem came back to win the next five games. Sebescen lost in doubles with Mouillon on the third court. In singles, Sebescen lost the last match of the day to Mathieu Dehaine, 6-4, 6-4.
The Bears have one regular-season match left, next Saturday at Stanford at 1 p.m. The match could decide Cal's fate in terms of earning a spot in the NCAA Regionals.
1. Ben Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Pierre Mouillon (Cal) 6-1, 6-7, 6-2
2. Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. Tyler Browne (Cal) 2-6, 7-6, 4-1 (ret, inj.)
3. Philipp Greundler (UCLA) def. Eoin Heavey (Cal) 6-3, 6-4
4. Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Daniel Sebescen (Cal) 6-4, 6-4
5. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Ken Nakahara (Cal) 6-4, 6-2
6. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. Kallim Stewart (Cal) 6-4, 6-4
1. Kohlloeffel/Greundler (UCLA) def. Browne/John Pettit (Cal) 8-5
2. Geoff Chizever/Heavey (Cal) def. Abid/Chris Surapol (UCLA) 9-7
3. Dehaine/Drean (UCLA) def. Mouillon/Sebescen (Cal) 8-4
Order of Finish:
Singles: 3, 5, 6, 1, 2, 4
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive