Cardinal Defeated by 8th Ranked USC, 4-2
April 14, 2007
After a two-hour delay due to rain and wet grounds, eighth-ranked USC ran its winning streak to nine and its overall record to 20-1 with a x4-2 win over Stanford today in a Pac-10 match at the Taube Tennis Center. The Trojans, whose only loss this season is to No. 1 ranked Georgia, erased a 2-1 Cardinal lead by winning the final three singles matches to close out the win.
Originally scheduled to begin at 1:00 pm, the two teams got underway a little before 3:00 pm with the doubles competition. The Trojans won at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to win the point and take a 1-0 lead into singles play. USC's Dejan Cvetkovic and Gary Sacks beat Kevin Kaiser and Paul Morrissey, 8-3 at No. 2 while Whit Livington and Garrett Snyder handed Stanford's Eric McKean and Richard Wire an 8-5 loss at No. 3. Stanford's No. 1 team of Blake Muller and Matt Bruch beat the Trojan's Kaes Van't Hof and Robert Farah, who are ranked No. 38 in the nation, 8-7.
Stanford tied the scored at 1-1 and took a 2-1 lead when freshman Richard Wire, ranked No. 75, scored an impressive straight set win over Dejan Cvetkovic, 6-2, 6-3. Cvetkovic came into the ranked No. 44 in the nation. Kevin Kaiser gave Stanford its first point an tied the match at 1-1 when he made quick work of Gary Sacks, 6-4, 6-3.
But the Trojan won the next two matches to re-take the lead at 3-2. First, it was Jason McNaughton at No. 5 beating David Ryan, 6-4, 6-4, to even the match at two apiece. Garrett Snyder then recorded a 7-5, 6-3 win over Paul Morrissey at No. 6 singles to put USC back on top 3-2.
USC clinched the match at No. 3 singles when Robert Farah beat Eric McKean, 7-6, 6-4 to give the Trojans a 4-2 win. The No. 2 singles match between Kaes Van't Hof and Blake Muller was stopped in the third set with Van't Hof holding a 6-4, 6-7, 3-2 lead.
The Cardinal has two more regular season matches in 2007. Stanford will host UOP on Tuesday, April 17 in a 5:00 pm match at the Taube Tennis Center before closing out the regular season on Saturday, April 21 against Cal. That match begins at 1:00 pm.
Pac-10 Conference: USC 4 , Stanford 2
April 14, 2007
Taube Tennis Center
Doubles (USC wins doubles point)
1. No. 27 Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. No. 38 Kaes Van't Hof / Robert Farah (USC), 8-7
2. Dejan Cvetkovic / Gary Sacks (USC) d. Kevin Kaiser / Paul Morrissey (S) d. 8-3
3. Whit Livington / Garrett Snyder (USC) d. Eric McKean / Richard Wire (S) d. 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1
1. No. 75 Richard Wire (S) d. No. 44 Dejan Cvetkovic (USC), 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 101 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. Blake Muller (S), 6-4, 6-7, 3-2, dnf
3. Robert Farah (USC) d. Eric McKean (S), 7-6, 6-4
4. Kevin Kaiser (S) d. Gary Sacks (USC), 6-4, 6-3
5. Jason McNaughton (USC) d. David Ryan, 6-4, 6-2
6. Garrett Snyder (USC) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 7-5
Order of finish: 4, 1, 5, 6, 3*
* clinching match
Records: Stanford (7-15, 2-4), USC (20-1, 6-0)