No. 8 USC Men Swamp Stanford 4-2
April 14, 2007
PALO ALTO, CALIF. - The No. 8 USC men's tennis team outlasted the weather to gather up the Trojans' sixth straight Pac-10 win and ninth straight overall victory with a 4-2 decision over Stanford on Saturday afternoon in Palo Alto. Although the Cardinal got ahead 2-1 in the match, the Trojans propelled past their hosts with the next three singles wins to secure victory. USC now sets up to round out Pac-10 play in pursuit of its first undefeated conference run since 1987 when the Trojans face defending conference champion UCLA at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday (April 21) at the L.A. Tennis Center. USC is now 20-1 overall and 6-0 in Pac-10 play.
USC started the day off right - despite messy courts and a rain delay - by capturing the doubles point. It wasn't a sweep as they have managed in recent matches, but the point was still secured early with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. #58 Dejan Cvetkovic / Gary Sacks won their ninth straight match to stay undefeated with an 8-3 win at No. 2. Whit Livingston / Garrett Snyder won next to clinch the point with an 8-5 decision at No. 3. At No. 1, Stanford's #27 Bruch/Muller was able to edge USC's #38 Robert Farah / Kaes Van't Hof 8-7, although USC already had the first point in hand.
Stanford worked back into it with a win at No. 4 by Kevin Kaiser of Gary Sacks, 6-4, 6-3, snapping an 11-match win streak held by Sacks. #75 Richard Wire would put Stanford ahead 2-1 with a 6-2, 6-3 win over #44 Dejan Cvetkovic at the top singles position, but Jason McNaughton leveled the match back up with a 6-4, 6-2 decision over David Ryan at No. 5. Garrett Snyder made it 3-2 USc with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Paul Morrissey at the No. 6 slot, and then Robert Farah shut things down on the Cardinal with his 7-6, 6-4 win at No. 3 over Eric McKean for the 4-2 edge. The No. 2 singles match between #101 Kaes Van't Hof and Blake Muller was called off with Van't Hof leading 6-4, 6-7, 3-2 to end the action.
#8 USC 4, Stanford 2
April 14, 2006 - Stanford, Calif.
(1) #27 Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) def. #38 Kaes Van't Hof / Robert Farah (USC) -- 8-7 (2)
(2) #58 Dejan Cvetkovic / Gary Sacks (USC) def. Kevin Kaiser / Paul Morrissey (S) -- 8-3
(3) Whit Livington / Garrett Snyder (USC) def. Eric McKean / Richard Wire (S) -- 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1
(1) #75 Richard Wire (S) def.#44 Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) -- 6-2, 6-3
(2) #101 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Blake Muller (S) -- 6-4, 6-7, 3-2, dnf
(3) Robert Farah (USC) def. Eric McKean (S) -- 7-6, 6-4*
(4) Kevin Kaiser (S) def. Gary Sacks (USC) -- 6-4, 6-3
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. David Ryan -- 6-4, 6-2
(6) Garrett Snyder (USC) def. Paul Morrissey (S) -- 7-5, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 1, 5, 6, 3*