Cardinal Blanks UOP, 7-0
April 17, 2007
Stanford recorded its first shutout of the season in a rare evening match at the Taube Tennis Center as the Cardinal defeated UOP, 7-0. Stanford won the doubles point and swept all six singles matches, winning five of six in straight sets. The Cardinal concludes its dual match season on Saturday with a 1:00 pm match against Cal.
Tonight, however, it was all Stanford. Richard Wire and Matt Bruch reversed positions against the Tigers as Wire played No. 1 and Bruch played No. 2 for the first time this season. Wire, ranked No. 73 in the nation, beat Moritz Starke, 6-3, 7-6 while Bruch easily defeated Vladimir Zdraykovic, 6-4, 6-1.
Blake Muller posted a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 3 over Vegerd Veskimagi, Eric McKean breezed to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Alan Kelly at No. 4, Kevin Kaiser won his match 6-1, 6-0 over Ahid Ebrahim and Paul Morrissey completed the sweep with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 victory at No. 6.
In doubles, Bruch and Muller, who are now ranked No. 8 in the country, were upset, 8-5, by Starke and Zdraykovic of UOP. The Cardinal, however, won the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3.
Non-Conference: Stanford 7, UOP 0
April 17, 2007
Taube Tennis Center
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Moritz Starke / Vladimir Zdraykovic (P) d. No. 8 Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S), 8-5
2. Kevin Kaiser / Paul Morrissey (S) d. Vegerd Veskimagi / Alan Kelly, 8-4
3. Eric McKean / Richard Wire (S) d. Robert Price / Pedro Toledo (P), 8-3
1. No. 73 Richard Wire (S) d. Moritz Starke (P), 6-3, 7-6
2. Matt Bruch (S) d. Vladimir Zdraykovic (P), 6-4, 6-1
3. Blake Muller (S) d. Vegerd Veskimagi (P), 6-1, 6-4
4. Eric McKean (S) d. Alan Kelly (P), 6-1, 6-1
5. Kevin Kaiser (S) d. Ahid Ebrahim (P), 6-1, 6-0
6. Paul Morrissey (S) d. Robert Price (P), 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
Records: Stanford (8-15), UOP (2-17)
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive