Men's Tennis Rallies Back to Top Arizona 4-3
April 21, 2007
TUCSON, Ariz. - Even after losing a tough doubles point, the Sun Devil Men's Tennis team wasn't out of the match Saturday as they they rallied back to win four singles matches to take a 4-3 win from their in-state rival, Arizona in the final dual match of the season. The Sun Devils are now 13-9 overall heading into next weekend's Pac-10 tournament.
In doubles play, the 'Cats overpowered ASU, as only Jack Marsh and T.J. Bellama were able to pull out a win in the three spot, beating UA's Peter Zimmer and Francois VanderMerwe 8-4, but their fellow Devils were unable to secure another win as they point fell to Arizona.
In singles play though, the Sun Devils came alive with Juan Carlos Rebaza leading the rally in the two spot with a decisive 6-2, 6-2 win over Bruno Alcala. T.J. Bellama wrapped up a win next, topping Ravid Hezi 7-6, 6-1 in the four spot. Jack Marsh stepped up huge for ASU in the three spot topping Jason Labrosse 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
It came down to the wire as UA grabbed wins in the fifth and sixth spot before freshman Matt Brooklyn battled back in a huge clinching win over #106 Claudio Christen in the one spot, scratching out a 7-6(5), 4-6, 7-6(3) victory to take the Kachina home for ASU.
Up next the Sun Devils travel to Ojai, California to participate in the Pac-10 tournament from next Thursday, April 26-through Sunday, April 29.
1. Christen/J. Labrosse (UA) def. Brooklyn/Wes Miller (ASU) 8-5
2. Alcala/Hezi (UA) def. Hegarty/Rebaza (ASU) 9-8 (3)
3. Marsh/Bellama def. Zimmer/Francois VanderMewe (UA) 8-4
1. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) def. No. 106 Christen (UA) 7-6(5), 4-6, 7-6(3)
2. No. 80 Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) def. Alcala (UA) 6-2, 6-2
3. Jack Marsh (ASU) def. J. Labrosse (UA) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
4. T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Hezi (UA) 7-6, 6-1
5. Zimmer (UA) def. Nick Hegarty (ASU) 6-3, 7-6(4)
6. A. Labrosse (UA) def. Murilo Souza (ASU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive