No. 9 Cal Falls To Top-Ranked Stanford
April 21, 2007
BERKELEY - The ninth-ranked California women's tennis team put up a good fight against No. 1 Stanford, but the Cardinal defeated the Golden Bears, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Hellman Tennis Center. The match was delayed twice due to rain. After the second rain delay, the last two singles matches were finished at the San Francisco Tennis Club.
Cal wrapped up its regular season with a record of 19-6, 5-3. Stanford clinched the Pac-10 title with the win and ended its regular season at 20-1, 8-0.
In a match featuring two top-ten singles players, fifth-ranked Susie Babos knocked off ninth-ranked Theresa Logar in straight sets, 6-0, 7-5. Babos dominated the first set, and although Logar hung with the reigning NCAA singles champion in the second set, Babos earned the victory.
Ilcinkas also earned the first singles victory for Cal on the sixth court. She recorded a decisive straight-set win over Lejla Hodzic, 6-1, 6-4.
In the final match of the day, senior Zsuzsanna Fodor won on Senior Day. No. 13 Fodor beat No. 17 Anne Yelsey, 7-5, 5-7, 6-2.
The Bears will compete next in the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai from April 26-29.
1. (5) Susie Babos (Cal) def. (9)Theresa Logar (Stan) 6-0, 7-5
2. (13) Zsuzsanna Fodor (Cal) def. (17) Anne Yelsey (Stan) 7-5, 5-7, 6-2
3. (14)Celia Durkin (Stan) def. (23) Nina Henkel (Cal) 6-2, 6-1
4. Whitney Deason (Stan) def. Stephanie Kusano (Cal) 6-3, 7-5
5. Lindsay Burdette (Stan) def. Cristina Visico (Cal) 6-4, 4-6, 2-6
6. Claire Ilcinkas (Cal) def. Lejla Hodzic (Stan) 6-1, 6-4
1. Yelsey/Burdette (Stan) def. (2) Babos/Fodor (Cal) 9-7
2. Jessica Nguyen/Durkin (Stan) def. Henkel/Kusano (Cal) 9-7
3. Bojana Bobusic/Ilcinkas (Cal) def. Logar/Deason 8-5
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 3, 6, 1, 4, 5, 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 5/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 10:30am PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 4:00pm PTLive