No. 9 USC Men Fall 4-3 To No. 10 UCLA In Pac-10 Title Match
April 21, 2007
WESTWOOD, CALIF. -- The No. 9 USC men's tennis team came up just short of the Pac-10 title in the Trojans' second loss of the year, falling 4-3 to No. 10 UCLA on Saturday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. In a match rescheduled due to Friday's rain, the Trojans paid their Pac-10 visit to the Bruins on Saturday afternoon. They captured the doubles point, but were unable to grab enough singles wins to claim a season sweep of the Bruins. Instead UCLA claims the Pac-10 championship, leaving USC with a 6-1 Pac-10 finish and a 20-2 overall record.
USC snagged the doubles point for an early leg-up in the match, grabbing wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots to pocket the first point of the match. Following Rober Farah / Kaes Van't Hof's 8-5 win at No. 2, Whit Livingston / Garrett Snyder came through with a clutch win at No. 3, topping Dehain/Drean in a tiebreaker for a 9-8 (4) win that got USC the first point of the match.
As singles play got underway, the match raged into a see-saw battle. UCLA tied things up with a 6-2, 6-4 win at the No. 4 position by Philip Gruendler over USC's Robert Farah. Freshman Jason McNaughton got USC the advantage again in a 6-4, 6-4 decision over Michael Look, but once again UCLA had a response as #29 Haythem Abid topped USC's #51 Dejan Cvetkovic in a two-setter, 7-5, 6-3. Locked up 2-2, #96 Kes Van't Hof came through big for the Trojans, notching an upset win over #48 Chris Surapol in a 6-3, 6-2 win that put USC ahead 3-2. Bruin Mathieu Dehaine evened the score once more with his 6-3, 6-3 decision over freshman Gary Sacks, putting the deciding match at the No. 1 slot. There, the defending NCAA singles champion, #4 Benjamin Kohlloeffel tallied a 6-4, 6-4 win over USC's #34 Jamil Al-Agba to decide the match and steal the anticipated Pac-10 title and a season sweep of the Bruins away from the Trojans.
#10 UCLA 4, #9 USC 3
April 21, 2007 -- Los Angeles Tennis Center
(1) #7 Gruendler/Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. #43 Cvetkovic/Sacks (USC) -- 9-7
(2) Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Abid/Surapol (UCLA) -- 8-5
(3) Livingston/Snyder (USC) def. Dehaine/Drean (UCLA) -- 9-8 (4)
USC wins doubles point
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
(1) #4 Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. #34 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) -- 6-4, 6-4*
(2) #29 Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. #51 Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) -- 7-5, 6-3
(3) #96 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. #48 Chris Surapol (UCLA) -- 6-3, 6-2
(4) Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Robert Farah (USC) -- 6-2, 6-4
(5) Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Gary Sacks (USC) -- 6-3, 6-3
(6) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Michael Look (UCLA) -- 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 6, 2, 3, 5, 1*