Oledur Among Best Ever
June 22, 2007
PULLMAN, Wash. - John Olerud, who stared for Washington State University in the late 1980's and went on to an all-star Major League Baseball career, has been named the sixth best college player of all-time by author Mark Maloney.
Olerud and his college coach Bobo Brayton will both be inducted into the College Baseball Hall of Fame July 4 in ceremonies in Lubbock, Texas.
Here is what Maloney had to say about Olerud in his story posted at http://www.hofmag.com/.
'Most know him for his big-league career at first base. But Olerud also was a potent pitcher for Washington State. So good that this double threat also will join the College Baseball HOF in July. He was Player of the Year in 1988, hitting .464 with 23 homers and 81 RBI...and going 15-0 with a 2.49 ERA and 113 strikeouts. For his career, Olerud hit .434 with 33 homers and 131 RBI, while going 26-4 with a 3.17 ERA and 169 strikeouts.'
Maloney's Top 10 all-time in college baseball are:
10. Jackie Jensen, California, 1947-49
9. Phil Stephenson, Wichita State, 1979-82
8. Will Clark, Mississippi State, 1983-85
7. Mark Kotsay, Cal state Fullerton, 1994-96
6. John Olerud, Washington State, 1987-89
5. Fred Lynn, Southern California, 1971-73
4. Robin Ventura, Oklahoma State, 1985-88
3. Dave Winfield, Minnesota, 1971-73
2. Bob Horner, Arizona State, 1976-78
1. Pete Incaviglia, Oklahoma State, 1984-85
For more on the top 10 players and other hall of fame stories, go to http://www.hofmag.com/
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive