Stanford beats Hawaii 6-1 in Non-Conference Match
Nov. 21, 2007
The Cardinal beat the University of Hawaii, 6-1, in a non-conference match held Tuesday, November 20 at the Wailea Tennis Club in Maui, Hawaii. Stanford freshman Alex Clayton continued to impress as he won his singles match at No. 2 and teamed with All-American Matt Bruch to win at No. 1 doubles.
Hawaii, which only had five players, had to default at No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles. Stanford won four of the remaining five singles matches, then won the doubles point with the Clayton / Bruch win at No. 1 doubles.
Clayton beat Sasha Heinemann 7-5, 6-3 at No. 2 to run his 2007 singles record to 10-2. Richard Wire, Blake Muller and freshman Ted Kelly won their matches at Nos. 3-5. Stanford's only loss came at No. 1 singles where Hawaii's Andreas Weber beat Bruch in a tight match, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Stanford next plays at the Sherwood Cup in Westlake Village on January 18.
Stanford Men's Tennis Results
November 21, 2007
Wailea Tennis Club
Non-conference: Stanford 6, Hawaii 1
1. Andreas Weber (H) d. Matt Bruch (S), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Alex Clayton (S) d. Sasha Heineman (H), 7-5, 6-3
3. Richard Wire (S) d. Jeff Fitch (H), 7-6, 7-6
4. Blake Muller (S) d. Spence Mendoza (H), 6-0, 6-0
5. Ted Kelly (S) d. Craig Faulk (H), 6-3, 6-1
6. Greg Hirshmann (S) won by default
1. Clayton / Bruch (S) d. Heinemann / Weber (H), 8-5
2. Mendoza / Fitch (H) d. Muller / Kelly (S), 9-8
3. Wire / Kaiser (S) won by default
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Tue 5/22 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 4:00pm PTLive