Stanford Well-Represented In ITA Regional Rankings
Dec. 13, 2007
STANFORD, Calif.- Stanford women's tennis was recently well-represented in the ITA Northwest Region rankings with six selections among the top 30 singles players and two doubles squads in the 15-team field.
Of Stanford's 10 players, six are ranked among the region's top-30 players. Leading the way is junior Jessica Nguyen, who compiled a 10-3 record in the fall while capturing the singles title at the ITA Northwest Regional Championships in October. An All-American and All-Pac-10 honoree last year, Nguyen checks in at No. 2.
A pair of freshmen follow in the rankings, with Carolyn McVeigh at No. 8 and Hilary Barte checking in at No. 12. McVeigh posted a 6-2 mark in the fall and reached the quarterfinals of the ITA Northwest Regional Championships while Barte went 4-1 and advanced to the round of 16 at the same tournament.
Senior Celia Durkin finds herself at No. 18 despite managing just a 1-2 mark as she battled injuries in the early going. Sophomore Lindsay Burdette trails her at No. 19 after wrapping up the fall at 5-4 overall.
Freshman Jennifer Yen comes in at No. 24, as she reached the round of 16 at the ITA Northwest Regional Championships and posted a 7-4 mark in 11 fall matches.
On the doubles side, Stanford has two squads ranked. Barte and Nguyen are listed at No. 7 following a semifinal appearance at the ITA Northwest Regional Championships while Burdette and Durkin hold down the No. 8 position.
Stanford is back in action on Jan. 11, participating in the Freeman Invitational (Las Vegas, Nev.) and NCTC Classic (Indian Wells, Calif.).
REGIONAL SINGLES RANKINGS
1. Susie Babos, Cal
2. Jessica Nguyen, Stanford
3. Anastasia Petukhova, Fresno State
4. Melanie Gloria, Fresno State
5. Bojana Bobusic, Cal
6. Cristina Visico, Cal
7. Tinesta Rowe, Fresno State
8. Carolyn McVeigh, Stanford
9. Renata Kucerkova, Fresno State
10. Maria Mizyuk, Nevada
11. Katrina Zheltova, Sacramento State
12. Hilary Barte, Stanford
13. Jessica Hoath, Saint Mary's
14. Claire Ilcinkas, Cal
15. Brittany Blalock, Cal Poly
16. Ekaterina Burduli, Washington State
17. Marion Ravelojaona, Cal
18. Celia Durkin, Stanford
19. Lindsay Burdette, Stanford
20. Wing-Yau (Venise) Chan, Washington
21. Marina Cossou, Cal
22. Stef Ordoveza, Saint Mary's
23. Celine Rolly, Oregon
24. Jennifer Yen, Stanford
25. Jennifer-Lee Heinser, San Francisco
26. Ekaterina Kamendova, Washington State
27. Desiree Stone, UC Davis
28. Alex Poorta, Saint Mary's
29. Joyce Ardies, Washington
T30. Mylene Martin, San Francisco
T30. Steffi Wong, Cal Poly
REGIONAL DOUBLES RANKINGS
1. Rowe/Gloria, Fresno State
2. Kuckerkova/Petukhova, Fresno State
3. Wong/Blalock, Cal Poly
4. Bailly/Mizyuk, Nevada
5. Babos/Kusano, Cal
6. Cossou/Ilcinkas, Cal
7. Barte/Nguyen, Stanford
8. Durkin/Burdette, Stanford
9. Burduli/Kamendova, Washington State
10. Schrifis/Zheltova, Sacramento State
11. Bobusic/Dillon, Cal
12. Tanzer/Doolittle, Portland
13. Brady/Markhoff, Cal Poly
14. Ardies/Simpson, Washington
T15. Powaska/Rolly, Oregon
T15. Ravelojaona/Visico, Cal