Cal Men's Tennis Falls in Narrow 4-3 Loss at No. 23 Tulsa
Jan. 19, 2008
TULSA, Okla. - The California men's tennis team (0-1) opened up its spring dual season with a 4-3 loss at No. 23 Tulsa (3-0) in Tulsa, Okla. today. The Golden Bears were able to secure victories on courts three, four and five but were unable to recover from losing the doubles points to several highly-ranked duos.
Opening up with doubles matches, the team of junior Geoff Chizever and newcomer redshirt freshman Shan Sondhu earned the lone Cal victory by defeating Tulsa's Alberto Sottocorno and Albert Jou 8-4. Junior Eoin Heavey and freshman Pedro Zerbini made things interesting against Tulsa's No. 15-ranked Arnau Brugues and Ricardo Soriano but the Golden Hurricane pulled away in the end to win the match 8-6. Ranked No. 5 in the country, Tulsa's Andy Connelly and Ross Cunningham took out Cal's team of senior Pierre Mouillon and Bozhidar Katsarov 8-4 to give Tulsa the doubles point.
In singles matches, sophomore Kallim Stewart put up a strong fight against the nation's No. 44 player, Ricardo Soriano, forcing a first-set tie-breaker. Losing the tie, Stewart was unable to generate any steam in the second, falling 7-6(1), 6-1. After dropping the first set, Heavey was able to win his match against Will Gray 1-6, 6-3, 6-4. Katsarov continued his strong solo performances from the fall with a three-set win over Sottocorno. Cal's other singles victory came from freshman Jonathan Dahan who defeated Tulsa's Connelly 6-3, 6-1.
The Bears continue dual play on the road in Tulsa, Okla. tomorrow, facing No. 11 Oklahoma State on a neutral court. The match begins at 1:30 p.m. central time, 11:30 a.m. pacific. The Cowboy lineup features three players ranked in the ITA rankings. Oklahoma State's singles attack is led by No. 29 Oleksandr Nedovyesov, No. 71 Ivan Puchkarov and No. 77 Dmytro Petrov.
1. Arnau Brugues (TLS) def. Pierre Mouillon (CAL) 6-3, 6-3
2. #44 Ricardo Soriano (TLS) def. Kallim Stewart (CAL) 7-6 (7-1), 6-1
3. Eoin Heavey (CAL) def. Will Gray (TLS) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) def. Alberto Sottocorno (TLS) 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 1-0 (12-10)
5. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) def. Andy Connelly (TLS) 6-3, 6-1
6. Ross Cunningham (TLS) def. Ken Nakahara (CAL) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. #5 Andy Connelly/Ross Cunningham (TLS) def. Pierre Mouillon/Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) 8-4
2. #15 Arnau Brugues/Ricardo Soriano (TLS) def. Eoin Heavey/Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 8-6
3. Geoff Chizever/Shan Sondhu (CAL) def. Alberto Sottocorno/Albert Jou (TLS) 8-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 2/23 | 7:00pm PTLive