Golden Bears Upset No. 11 Oklahoma State in 4-3 Dual Victory
Jan. 20, 2008
TULSA, Okla. - The California men's tennis team (1-1) notched its first win of the dual season with a 4-3 victory against No. 11 Oklahoma State (2-1) today at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center in Tulsa, Okla. The duo of junior Geoff Chizever and redshirt freshman Shan Sondhu dropped a close match to OSU's Puchkarov and Sobolta 9-8, surrendering the doubles point to the Cowboys, but The Golden Bears won four of their singles matches, with the final win coming in three sets to prevail.
Cal was able to notch one doubles win with freshman Jonathan Dahan and sophomore Kallim Stewart taking an 8-5 victory over Petrov and Bobytskyi. In singles play, the Bears came up empty on the first two courts but claimed 6-2, 6-3 victories on courts four, five and six, leaving only court three to be decided for the team victory.
Facing Oklahoma State's No. 77-ranked Dmytro Petrov, Heavey took the first set 6-3 before dropping the second 6-4. In the third, Heavey found himself up a break and then down a break before he was able to get a break and hold serve to clinch the Cal victory.
'Eoin just played some extraordinary tennis today,' said Cal head coach Peter Wright. 'He came out and gave us what we needed and in the end, it was his win that sealed it for us.'
The Bears return home to host Nevada (9:30 a.m.) and St. Mary's (2 p.m.) in back-to-back dual matches next Saturday (Jan. 26) at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
California 4, Oklahoma State 3
Michael D. Case Tennis Center - Tulsa, Okla.
1. No. 29 Oleksandr Nedovyesov (OSU) vs. Pierre Mouillon (Cal) 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 71 Ivan Puchkarov (OSU) vs. Kallim Stewart (Cal) 7-6(1), 1-6, 6-3
3. Eoin Heavey (Cal) def. No. 77 Dmytro Petrov (OSU) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
4. Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal) def. Antón Bobytskyi (OSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Jonathan Dahan (Cal) def. Nathan Byrnes (OSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Pedro Zerbini (Cal) def. Egor Sobolta (OSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Nedovyesov/Byrnes (OSU) def. Zerbini/Heavey (Cal) 8-4
2. Puchkarov/Sobolta (OSU) def. Sondhu/Chizever (Cal) 9-8
3. Dahan/Stewart (Cal) (8-4) def. Petrov/Bobytskyi (OSU) 8-5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive