No. 6 USC Men Open 2008 With 5-2 Win Over San Diego
Jan. 26, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 6 USC men's tennis team got out of the gates strong for their 2008 dual match season, topping No. 75 San Diego 5-2 at Marks Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The skies stayed clear enough to see two USC newcomers grab their first career dual match singles wins, as Abdullah Magdas and Jaak Poldma each tallied victories during the match. Poldma's 6-2, 6-4 win over Charl Worlmarans at the No. 4 slot secured victory for the Trojans, who are now 1-0 overall.
USC picked up the doubles point by grabbing the first two wins of the match. Gary Sacks and Abdullah Magdas combined forces at No. 2 to get the first win for USC, and No. 2-ranked Robert Farah / Kaes Van't Hof secured the point with an 8-3 win at No. 1 over USD's Liversage/Coatzee. The Toreros would win the last match at No. 3, but the Trojans already had the point in their pockets as singles play came up.
Playing in his first match of his career, Abdullah Magdas pounded out a 6-1, 6-2 win at the No. 6 slot over Nils Schive to get USC up 2-0 in the match. Sophomore Jason McNaughton made it 3-0 USC with a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Jose Manuel Munoz at No. 5, and freshman Jaak Poldma clinched victory early for the Trojans with his 6-2, 6-4 win over Wolmarans at No. 4.
San Diego got its first points of the day when #63 Dean Jackson topped Kaes Van't Hof 6-2, 7-6 (4) at No. 2 and then #29 Thomas Liversage edged out #9 Robert Farah with a tight win in the third set tiebreaker at 3-6, 6-1, 10-8 in the No. 1 singles match. From the No. 3 spot, #43 Gary Sacks finished off the match with one last Trojan victory, beating Chris Coatzee in three 6-2, 4-6, 10-8.
Next up for the Trojans is a Monday match against UC Irvine at 1:30 p.m. The next day, USC hosts #50 San Diego State (1-0) at 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday (Jan. 29).
#6 USC 5, #75 San Diego 2
(1) #2 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Liversage/Coatzee (USD) - 8-3
(2) Sacks/Magdas (USC) def. Wolmarans/Munoz (USD) - 8-3
(3) Jackson/Schive (USD) def. Poldma/Piotrowski (USC) - 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
(1) #29 Thomas Liversage (USD) def. #9 Robert Farah (USC) - 3-6, 6-1, 10-8
(2) #63 Dean Jackson (USD) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) - 6-2, 7-6 (4)
(3) #43 Gary Sacks (USC) def. Chris Coetzee (USD) - 6-2, 4-6, 10-8
(4) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Charl Wolmarans (USD) - 6-2, 6-4*
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Jose Manuel Munoz (USD) - 6-2, 6-2
(6) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Nils Schive (USD) - 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 5, 4*, 2, 1, 3