Huskies Make Quick Work of Eastern Washington
Jan. 27, 2008
SEATTLE - The Husky women's tennis team turned in a routine sweep of Eastern Washington today at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. Washington (3-1) did not drop a set in singles or doubles.
No set in singles went further than 6-3, as the Huskies dictated play throughout the lineup. Coming off their 4-3 upset of No. 28 BYU on Saturday, the Huskies had plenty of confidence against the Eagles today.
Going down the line, freshman Venise Chan improved to 4-0 in dual play with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Kasey Knox at No. 1. Sophomore Aleksandra Malovic posted a 6-3, 6-0 win over Kerstyn Dolack at No. 2 singles. Senior Tara Simpson downed Sarah Leuenberger, 6-0, 6-3 at third singles. Sophomore Joyce Ardies raced past Rachel Berger, 6-0, 6-1 at the four spot. Senior Allison Rainey was a 6-1, 6-1 winner over Amanda Mankovits at No. 5. Finally, at No. 6 singles, freshman Kelsey Anonsen notched a 6-1, 6-2 win over Marie Demerath in her very first collegiate singles match.
The Huskies swept the doubles point, improving to 3-1 in the doubles this year. The first win came from Chan and Anonsen at No. 2 doubles, 8-2 over Dolack and Berger. Simpson and Ardies then defeated Knox and Mankovits at No. 1 doubles, winning the final five games. Likewise, true freshmen Ashley Anderson and Aleksandra Krsljanin won the final four games to defeat Demerath and Leuenberger at third doubles to complete the sweep.
The Huskies have three home dual matches on tap next week, taking on Portland on Friday, Feb. 1, 48th-ranked San Diego State on Saturday, Feb. 2, and Gonzaga on Sunday, Feb. 3. The dual with the Pilots will be at 1 p.m. at the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Women's Tennis
1/27/08 - Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 70 Washington 7, Eastern Washington 0
1. Ardies/Simpson (UW) def. Knox/Mankovits (EWU), 8-4*
2. Chan/Anonsen (UW) def. Dolack/Berger (EWU), 8-2
3. Anderson/Krsljanin (UW) def. Demerath/Leuenberger (EWU), 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Venise Chan (UW) def. Kasey Knox (EWU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Aleksandra Malovic (UW) def. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Tara Simpson (UW) def. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU), 6-0, 6-3*
4. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Rachel Berger (EWU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Allison Rainey (UW) def. Amanda Mankovits (EWU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Kelsey Anonsen (UW) def. Marie Demerath (EWU), 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 5, 3, 1, 2, 6
* Clinching match
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive