No. 2 Stanford Downs No. 41 UNLV 6-1 In Season Opener
Feb. 1, 2008
STANFORD, Calif.- One week later, No. 2 Stanford finally managed to win its season opener.
Forced to roll with the punches after its first two matches were cancelled due to steady rain in the Bay Area, Stanford (1-0) finally put one in the books with a 6-1 victory over No. 41 UNLV on Friday afternoon at the Taube Tennis Stadium.
Friday's match against the Lady Rebels (3-1) turned out to be the default season opener for the Cardinal after earlier matches against UC Davis and No. 14 Fresno State were wiped out due to the wintry conditions.
The clubs decided to play singles first on Friday, with Stanford claiming straight-set victories at every position except the top spot. UNLV picked up its only point of the match as Elena Gantcheva topped junior Jessica Nguyen 6-2, 7-6 at the No. 1 position. Nguyen leads the Cardinal with 11 victories on the year.
Otherwise, seniors Celia Durkin and Whitney Deason and sophomore Lindsay Burdette claimed easy wins as they look to regain their top form displayed last year when they helped lead Stanford to its 20th Pac-10 title, a 24-2 finish and an appearance in the NCAA semifinals.
Meanwhile, highly-touted freshmen Hilary Barte and Carolyn McVeigh posted wins in their collegiate debuts. Playing at the No. 3 spot, Barte won 6-4, 6-0 over Katy Williams while McVeigh upped her record to 10-3 with a 6-0, 6-3 triumph over Adrienn Hidvegi at No. 6.
Stanford also captured wins at Nos. 1 and 3 in doubles, picking up the doubles point. The team of Deason and Nguyen had the most success, winning 8-2 at the No. 3 spot over UNLV's team of Dimitrova and Marin.
The Cardinal extended its regular season home winning streak to 96 and has not been defeated in the last 122 contests played on its home court.
1) Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. Gantcheva/Nedeltcheva (UNLV) 8-3
2) Maskaljun/Williams (UNLV) d. Durkin/McVeigh (STAN) 8-5
3) Deason/Nguyen (STAN) d. Dimitrova/Marin (UNLV) 8-2
1) No. 30 Elena Gantcheva (UNLV) d. No. 21 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) 6-2, 7-6
2) No. 39 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Kristina Nedeltcheva (UNLV) 6-1, 6-3
3) Hilary Barte (STAN) d. Katy Williams (UNLV) 6-4, 6-0
4) Celia Durkin (STAN) d. Nikol Dimitrova (UNLV) 6-2, 6-1
5) Whitney Deason (STAN) d. Anna Maskaljun (UNLV) 6-0, 6-4
6) No. 58 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Adrienn Hidvegi (UNLV) 6-0, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 1/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 1/26 | 6:30pm PTLive