No. 6 USC Wins Fourth Straight In 4-2 Road Test At Cal
Feb. 1, 2008
BERKELEY, CALIF. - The No. 6 USC men's tennis team warded off the rains and pulled out a tight win over host California on Friday afternoon. The teams opted not to play the doubles point due to threatening weather conditions, and the win was secured during singles play thanks to a three-set win from USC freshman Jaak Poldma. USC is now 4-0 on the season after grabbing its first road win of the year. The Trojans now head to Stanford to face the Cardinal in a 1 p.m. match on Saturday (Feb. 2).
Singles play opened with Cal snagging the first point on a 6-4, 6-2 win by Kallin Stewart over USC's #9 Robert Farah at the No. 1 spot. USC evened things on Kaes Van't Hof's 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 2 over Eoin Heavey and then took a 2-1 lead with Abdullah Magdas' 7-5, 6-2 victory over Pedro Zerbini from his No. 6 position. Again the match tied up, as Cal's Pierre Moillon beat #43 Gary Sacks 6-4, 7-5 at No. 3.
The Trojans pulled out the next two wins, however, to power back into the lead to stay. At No. 5 Jason McNaughton topped Bozhidar Katsarov 7-6 (2), 6-0 for a 3-2 edge. And with the match teetering toward another possible lock-up, freshman Jaak Poldma came through in a three-setter, coming back against Cal's Jonathan Dahan for a 2-6, 7-6 (2), 6-3 decision that pocketed the win for the visiting Trojans.
#6 USC 4, California 2
DOUBLES - not played
(1) Kallim Stewart (Cal) def. No. 9 Robert Farah (USC) -- 6-4, 6-2
(2) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Eoin Heavey (Cal) -- 6-2, 7-5
(3) Pierre Mouillon (Cal) def. No. 43 Gary Sacks (USC) -- 6-4, 7-5
(4) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Jonathan Dahan (Cal) -- 2-6, 7-6 (2), 6-3
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal) -- 7-6 (2), 6-0
(6) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Pedro Zerbini (Cal) -- 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 2, 6, 3, 5, 4*
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive