Huskies Upset No. 46 San Diego State
Feb. 2, 2008
SEATTLE - The Husky women's tennis team kept rolling with their fifth-straight dual match victory, this time earning a 6-1 upset over No. 46 San Diego State (3-1). The 55th-ranked Huskies (5-1) matched their entire 2007 win total with the victory over the Aztecs.
The Huskies jumped out to the 1-0 lead thanks to winning two-of-three tightly contested doubles matches. Joyce Ardies (Sao Paulo, Brazil) and Tara Simpson (Vancouver, B.C.) notched the easiest of the wins, 8-5, at No. 1 doubles, while the other two matches went into a tiebreaker.
The Huskies kept rolling in singles, winning the first sets in five of the six matches. Allison Rainey (Mercer Island, Wash.) put the Huskies up 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Milana Yusupov at No. 5. Chan was close on her heels with a 6-2, 6-3 decision at No. 1 over Holly Bagshaw. Chan improved to 6-0 in dual play.
Ardies clinched the victory for the Dawgs with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Esther Cadua at No. 4.
The Aztecs clinched their first point of the day at No. 2 singles where No. 61 ranked Trunk beat Malovic 6-4, 6-2.
Anonsen jumped into the Husky lineup at No. 6 and produced at 7-5, 6-3 win over Sisse Nielsen. She improved to 2-0 in dual match singles for the season.
The final match was a barn-burner between Simpson and Ellie Krausova. Simpson won the first set 7-6, before dropping the second 6-2. In the third, with all other matches finished, Simpson rallied for a 6-4 third-set win.
Up next, the Huskies face cross-state rival Gonzaga, tomorrow at 11 a.m.
Washington Women's Tennis
2/2/08 - Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 55 Washington 5, No. 46 San Diego State 1
1. Ardies/Simpson (UW) def. Kathryn Kitts/Nielsen (SDST), 8-5
2. Chan/Anonsen (UW) def. Bagshaw/Krausova (SDST), 9-8 (1)
3. Trunk/Cadua (SDST) def. Malovic/Melinda Wong (UW), 9-8 (4)
Order of finish: 1, 2*, 3
1. Venise Chan (UW) def. Holly Bagshaw (SDST), 6-2, 6-3
2. Julia Trunk (SDST) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 6-4, 6-2
3. Tara Simpson (UW) def. Ellie Krausova (SDST), 7-6 (1), 2-6, 6-4
4. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Esther Cadua (SDST), 7-5, 6-2
5. Allison Rainey (UW) def. Milana Yusupov (SDST), 6-3, 6-3
6. Kelsey Anonsen (UW) def. Sisse Nielsen (SDST), 7-5, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4*, 2, 6, 3
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive