Golden Bears Drop 5-2 Decision to No. 9 UCLA
Feb. 3, 2008
BERKELEY - The California men's tennis team (3-3) lost to No. 9 UCLA (3-0) in a 5-2 finish Sunday evening at Hellman Tennis Complex. After delaying the start of the match because of rain, the Golden Bears opened up several leads in doubles play before having to stop for rain once more. Returning to the court, Cal took two out of the three doubles matches to earn the coveted doubles point. Junior Geoff Chizever and freshman Pedro Zerbini clinched the point for the Bears with an 8-6 victory over UCLA's Mathieu Dehaine and Holden Seguso. The Bears' duo of senior Pierre Mouillon and junior Eoin Heavey won the other doubles match to gain the point for Cal.
In singles play, the Bears gave up three quick points to the Bruins, falling on courts two and three then on five. Freshman Jonathan Dahan took his UCLA counterpart, junior Michael Look to a 5-5 tie in the second set but surrendered the last two games to give the Bruins the 4-1 advantage, clinching the third win of the season for UCLA. Freshman Pedro Zerbini earned the only singles point for the Bears 6-4, 4-6, 2-1 (ret. inj.) after his opponent freshman Nick Meister retired due to injury. Sophomore Kallim Stewart took UCLA's top player, senior Harel Srugo to a tie-breaking third set but fell 10-8 to close play for the weekend.
Up next, the Bears will play Utah (Feb. 9, 1 p.m.) in their last home match before a month away form Hellman. Please check CalBears.com for updates and complete schedule.
No. 9 UCLA 5, No. 26 California 2
Feb. 3, 2008 | Hellman Tennis Complex
1. Heavey/Mouillon (Cal) def. Meister/Srugo (UCLA) 8-4
2. Chizever/Zerbini (Cal) def. Dehaine/Seguso (UCLA) 8-6
3. Drean/Look (UCLA) def. Dahan/Stewart (Cal) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2* (Cal wins doubles point)
1. Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Kallim Stewart (Cal) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0(8)
2. Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Eoin Heavey (Cal) 6-1, 6-2
3. No. 32 Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Pierre Mouillon (Cal) 6-4, 6-3
4. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Jonathan Dahan (Cal) 6-3, 7-5
5. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal) 6-4, 6-2
6. Pedro Zerbini (Cal) def. Nick Meister (UCLA) 6-4, 4-6, 2-1 (ret. inj.)
Order of finish: 2, 3, 5, 4*, 6, 1