No. 4 Georgia Tech Upsets No. 1 Stanford 4-3 At ITA Semis
Feb. 9, 2008
STANFORD, Calif.- Kristi Miller's three-set victory at the No. 1 singles spot lifted No. 4 Georgia Tech to a 4-3 comeback victory over No. 1 Stanford on Saturday afternoon in the semifinals of the ITA National Indoor Championships in Madison, Wis.
The Yellow Jackets (5-1) advance to Sunday's final against Northwestern while the Cardinal (3-1) is saddled with just its third dual match loss in two years. Two of those defeats have come against Georgia Tech, which snapped Stanford's 89-match winning streak last year with a 4-3 upset in the semifinals of this same tournament.
In last year's meeting, Georgia Tech led 2-0 before Stanford rallied back only to fall just short. On Saturday afternoon, Stanford held a 3-0 edge but could not put away Georgia Tech as the Yellow Jackets posted victories at the Nos. 1, 2, 5 and 6 singles positions.
The Cardinal captured the doubles point for the fourth straight match this year, winning with identical 8-5 scores at the top two spots to take a 1-0 lead.
Freshman Hilary Barte and senior Celia Durkin followed with wins at Nos. 2 and 3, respectively, to make it 3-0. Barte was challenged late in a 6-1, 7-5 victory while Durkin cruised after an early test and won 7-5, 6-1.
However, back-to-back three-set victories by Georgia Tech cut the deficit to 3-2. In both instances, Cardinal players won the first set. Amanda McDowell edged junior Jessica Nguyen 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 at No. 2 before Kirsten Flower downed senior Whitney Deason 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 at No. 5.
Noelle Hickey knotted the match at 3-3 when she defeated freshman Carolyn McVeigh 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 6 position.
Miller then provided the clincher at the top spot of the lineup, outlasting sophomore Lindsay Burdette 6-7 (5), 6-1, 6-3 to secure the victory for Georgia Tech.
The Yellow Jackets are one of just two teams to defeat Stanford in the last five years, and the only team to do so twice during that span.
Stanford next faces Saint Mary's on Thursday, Feb. 14, at 1:30 p.m. at the Taube Tennis Center.
No. 4 Georgia Tech 4, No. 1 Stanford 3
1) Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. Miller/Flower (GT) 8-5
2) Deason/Nguyen (STAN) d. McCray/McDowell (GT) 8-5
3) Striplin/Hickey (GT) d. Durkin/McVeigh (STAN) 8-2
1) No. 7 Kristi Miller (GT) d. No. 39 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) 6-7 (5), 6-1, 6-3
2) No. 3 Amanda McDowell (GT) d. No. 21 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
3) Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 22 Whitney McCray (GT) 6-1, 7-5
4) Celia Durkin (STAN) d. No. 38 Christy Striplin (GT) 7-5, 6-1
5) Kirsten Flower (GT) d. Whitney Deason (STAN) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
6) No. 56 Noelle Hickey (GT) d. No. 58 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2, 5, 6, 1