No. 6 USC Streaks On With 5-2 Win Over Boise State
Feb. 9, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 6 USC men's tennis team extended its winning run with a seventh straight dual match win on Saturday afternoon, reeling off the first five points of the match to down visiting #27 Boise State 5-2 at Marks Stadium. A sweep through doubles play was soon followed by four straight singles wins by the Trojans to pocked the victory and improve USC's record to 7-0 on the year.
After USC's powerhouse doubles duo of Robert Farah / Kaes Van't Hof dispatched Koenke/L. Shields 8-5 at the No. 1 doubles slot, Jack Levis / Gary Sacks pulled out a tiebreaker win at the No. 2 position to grab the doubles point for the Trojans in a 9-8 (2) win over Robertson/C. Shields. Andrew Piotrowski / Jaak Poldma topped off the doubles action with a tight win at No. 3, bringing up singles play for the teams. Straight set decisions followed in singles, led by Jaak Poldma's 6-2, 6-1 win over Piotr Dilaj at No. 4, keeping Poldma's dual match singles record an untarnished 7-0. Kaes Van't Hof was next to cruise past his Boise State opponent, topping #19 Clancy Shields 6-3, 6-2 at No. 2.
Now up 3-0, the Trojans pushed right through for the win thanks to a 6-4, 6-1 win from Jason McNaughton at No. 5 over #65 Eric Roberson. #9 Robert Farah put a little more room between the Trojans and the Broncos with a 6-2, 6-1 win over #47 Luke Shields at the No. 1 slot next. Boise State would grab two last wins in the final two matches, however. #69 Brent Werbeck edged out #43 Gary Sacks in a second-set tiebreaker to claim a 6-4, 7-6 (5) decision at No. 3, and then Bronco Paul Koenke beat USC freshman Daniel Gliner 7-6 (5), 6-3 at the No. 6 position to round out the day's action.
USC now turns to compete in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, held Feb. 14-16 in Seattle.
#6 USC 5, #27 Boise State 2
(1) #2 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Koenke/L. Shields (BSU) - 8-5
(2) Levis/Sacks (USC) def. Robertson/C. Shields (BSU) - 9-8 (2)
(3) Piotrowski/Poldma (USC) def. Boswell/Roberson (BSU) - 9-8
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
(1) #9 Robert Farah (USC) def. #47 Luke Shields (BSU) - 6-2, 6-1
(2) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. #19 Clancy Shields (BSU) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) #69 Brent Werbeck (BSU) def. #43 Gary Sacks (USC) - 6-4, 7-6 (5)
(4) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Piotr Dilaj (BSU) - 6-2, 6-1
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. #65 Eric Roberson (BSU) - 6-4, 6-1*
(6) Paul Koenke (BSU) def. Daniel Gliner (USC) - 7-6 (5), 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5*, 1, 3, 6