Sun Devils Remain Undefeated with Victory over Auburn
Feb. 10, 2008
The Arizona State men's tennis team remains undefeated in dual play after a 4-3 win over Auburn. The Sun Devils won four singles matches to claim victory over the Tigers. The Devils are now 3-0 on the season
The Sun Devils dropped the doubles point after only garnering a win from the team of Matt Brooklyn and T.J. Bellama over Alexey Tsyrenov/Terence Nugent 8-7 (7-4). Wes Miller and John Nanosky II dropped their first match of the year 8-2 to Auburns Tim Puetz and Lukas Marsoun. Juan Carlos Rebaza and Andres Arango lost 8-3 to Pawel Dilaj and Alex Petropoulos.
In singles, Matt Brooklyn took out Tsyrenov in two sets. After winning a close 7-5 first set, Brooklyn handily defeated his competitor 6-2 in the second one. In No. 2 singles, Arango overcame a first set loss to defeat Marsoun 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Rebaza fought hard in his first set, but eventually fell 7-5, 6-2 to Puetz. Miller also dropped his match 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) to Dilaj.
Bellama made it through three tough sets to claim victory over Petropoulos. The junior won 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (10-8), 7-6 (7-2). Nanosky also overcame his opponent in three sets beating Nugent 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Arango, Brooklyn, Bellama and Nanosky are all undefeated in dual singles play this season.
The Sun Devils head to the Midwest next week to compete against Marquette (Feb. 16) and Northwestern (Feb. 17).
1. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) def. Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Andres Arango (ASU) def. Lukas Marsoun (AU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Tim Puetz (AU) def. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Pawel Dilaj (AU) def. Wes Miller (ASU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
5. T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Alex Petropoulos (AU) 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (10-8),7-6 (7-2)
6. John Nanosky II (ASU) def. Terence Nugent (AU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
1. Matt Brooklyn/T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Alexey Tsyrenov/Terence Nugent(AU) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Tim Puetz/Lukas Marsoun (AU) def. Wes Miller/John Nanosky II (ASU)8-2
3. Pawel Dilaj/Alex Petropoulos (AU) def. Juan Carlos Rebaza/Andres Arango (ASU) 8-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:30pm PTLive