No. 3 Stanford Cruises To 6-1 Win Over Saint Mary's
Feb. 14, 2008
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 3 Stanford swept all three doubles matches and notched five straight-set singles victories in a 6-1 triumph over No. 50 Saint Mary's on Thursday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Less than a week after suffering a 4-3 loss to Georgia Tech at the ITA National Indoors- just its third dual match loss since 2003- Stanford (4-1) cruised to an easy win at home. Thursday's victory over the Gaels (4-1) extended Stanford's regular-season home winning streak to 97.
The Cardinal opened the match by winning at all three doubles spots to take a 1-0 lead. The top team of Hilary Barte and Lindsay Burdette cruised to an 8-2 win, while the No. 3 duo of Isamarie Perez and Jennifer Yen posted an 8-6 win in its first dual match of the year.
Straight-set victories proved to be the formula in singles play despite a shuffled lineup. Playing without seniors Jessica Nguyen (injury) and Whitney Deason (illness), Stanford was still able to make quick work of the Gaels.
Barte and Burdette both blanked their opponents in the second set, with Barte winning 6-3, 6-0 at No. 2 and Burdette claiming a 6-4, 6-0 victory at No. 3.
Saint Mary's locked up its only point at No. 6, with Feline Charlot defeating junior Megan Doheny 6-4, 6-1.
Stanford is back in action on Wednesday, Feb. 20, at California. The match begins at 1:30 p.m.
No. 3 Stanford 6, No. 50 Saint Mary's 1
1) Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. Hoath/Strijbis (SMC) 8-2
2) Durkin/McVeigh (STAN) d. Calvo/Ormedezz (SMC) 8-6
3) Perez/Yen (STAN) d. Poorto/Soper (SMC) 8-6
1) Celia Durkin (STAN) d. Jessica Hoath (SMC) 7-6, 6-2
2) Hilary Barte (STAN) d. Alex Poorto (SMC) 6-3, 6-0
3) No. 39 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Marah Calvo (SMC) 6-4, 6-0
4) No. 58 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Nienke Strijbis (SMC) 6-1, 6-1
5) Jennifer Yen (STAN) d. Stef Ordoveza (SMC) 6-3, 6-4
6) Feline Charlot (SMC) d. Megan Doheny (STAN) 6-4, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive