No. 11 USC Shuts Out San Diego State
Feb. 15, 2008
SAN DIEGO, CALIF. - The No. 11 USC women's tennis team served up a smooth 7-0 win over host No. 52 San Diego State on Friday afternoon, getting back in winning mode after two tight losses last weekend. The Women of Troy reeled off three doubles wins to set up six straight-set victories in singles, with freshman Lyndsay Kinstler clinching the match on a 6-1, 6-3 decision. USC is now 6-2 overall.
USC posted a 1-2-3 win in doubles to lock down the first point, led by an 8-4 decision at the No. 1 slot for #5 Amanda Fink / Gabriela Niculescu as the pair won their fourth straight match. Lindsey Nelson / Maria Sanchez secured the doubles point with an 8-5 win at No. 2, and Sarah Fansler / Lyndsay Kinstler rounded things out with a tight match at No. 3, winning 8-7 (9) at No. 3 to bring up singles play.
Cristala Andrews and Lyndsay Kinstler were both playing in just their second dual match of the season, and both freshman got wins to help lift the Women of Troy to the victory early. Andrews opened things with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 6 over Kathryn Kitts. At No. 1, Lindsey Nelson made short work of Holly Bagshaw with a 6-1, 6-2 win to make it 3-0 USC, and then Kinstler clinched it on a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 5. Fellow freshman Maria Sanchez stepped up to No. 4 and downed Milana Yusupov 6-3, 6-2 for a 5-0 USC lead. And finishing off the sweep for the Trojans was #51 Amanda Fink with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Esther Cadua at No. 2 just before #78 Gabriela Niculescu topped Eliska Krausova 6-3, 6-2 to round out the match for the Women of Troy.
USC's next competition comes next week with a trip to Arizona. The Trojans will face the Wildcats at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (Feb. 22) and then visit Arizona State in Tempe at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday (Feb. 23).
#11 USC 7, #52 San Diego State 0
Aztec Tennis Center -- San Diego, Calif.
(1) #5 Fink/Niculescu (USC) def. Kitts/Nielsen (SDSU) -- 8-4
(2) Nelson/Sanchez (USC) def. Bagshaw/Krausova (SDSU) -- 8-5
(3) Fansler/Kinstler (USC) def. Cadua/Yusupov (SDSU) -- 8-7 (9)
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
(1) Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. Holly Bagshaw (SDSU) -- 6-1, 6-2
(2) #51 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Esther Cadua (SDSU) -- 6-3, 6-0
(3) #78 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Eliska Krausova (SDSU) -- 6-3, 6-2
(4) Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Milana Yusupov (SDSU) -- 6-3, 6-2
(5) Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) def. Sisse Nielsen (SDSU) -- 6-1, 6-3*
(6) Christy Andrews (USC) def. Kathryn Kitts (SDSU) -- 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 1, 5*, 4, 2, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive