No. 6 USC Wins Again, Moves On At National Team Indoors
Feb. 15, 2008
SEATTLE, WASH. - The No. 6 USC men's tennis team picked up its eighth straight win on Friday, posting a 4-1 win over No. 11 Illinois in the first round of the prestigious ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Seattle. In a dual match packed with marathon singles battles, the Trojans came back from losing the doubles point by claiming a series of hard-fought matches in singles play. Abdullah Magdas wound up clinching the match with his 4-6, 6-2, 6-0 comeback against Waylon Chin at the No. 5 position. Now 8-0 on the season, USC turns to face No. 3 Ohio State (9-0) in a 2:30 p.m. match on Saturday (Feb. 16) at the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Win streaks extended for all four Trojan singles victors on the day. Robert Farah won his third straight singles match with a 4-6, 6-0, 6-2 comeback over Ruben Gonzales at the No. 1 position. Kaes Van't Hof now boasts six straight wins after his 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win over Ryan Rowe at No. 2, and Abdullah Magdas matched Van't Hof's streak with his sixth straight on a comeback win at No. 5 to win the match. Jaak Poldma holds the longest streak of them all, winning his eighth consecutive singles match thanks to his straight-set win - the only one of the day for the Trojans - with a 6-0, 7-6 (2) decision over Billy Heiser at No. 3. Gary Sacks and Jason McNaughton both had their matches suspended once the Trojans captured the victory.
ITA NATIONAL TEAM INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS
#6 USC 4, #11 Illinois 1
(1) Farah/Van't Hof (USC) vs. Gonzales/Davis (ILL) -- dnf
(2) Rowe/Heiser (ILL) def. Piotrowski/Poldma (USC) - 8-5
(3) Chin/Spicjaric (ILL) def. Levis/Sacks (USC) - 9-8 (7)
Illinois wins doubles point.
(1) Robert Farah (USC) def. Ruben Gonzales (ILL) - 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
(2) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Ryan Rowe (ILL) - 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
(3) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Billy Heiser (ILL) - 6-0, 7-6 (2)
(4) Gary Sacks (USC) vs. Marc Spicijaric (ILL) - 6-3, 3-6, 4-5 dnf
(5) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Waylon Chin (ILL) - 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
(6) Jason McNaughton (USC) vs. Abe Souza (ILL) - 4-6, 7-6 (3), 4-1 dnf
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2, 5*
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive