Sun Devils Defeat Marquette 4-3
Feb. 16, 2008
The Arizona State Sun Devils stayed undefeated on the season with a 4-3 win over Marquette. The Sun Devils are now 4-0 on the season.
The Sun Devils fell behind early in the match after only one team won their doubles match. Matt Brooklyn and T.J. Bellama defeated Brett Binkley and Stephen Shao 8-5. Andres Arango and Wes Miller dropped their match to Trent Hagan and Mark Rutherford 8-5. John Nanosky II and Patrick Brogan fell 8-4 to Dusan Medan and Niko Boulieris.
In singles, Matt Brooklyn remained perfect on the season winning his match 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (10-7) over Trent Hagan. He came back from falling in his first set to win his second set. His final set was a battle with the final score ending in a tie-breaker. Arango dropped his first match of the year falling 7-5, 6-1 to Dusan Medan in the No. 2 spot. Playing in the No. 3 spot for the first time this season, Miller defeated Shao 7-5, 6-2.
Juan Carlos Rebaza defeated Boulieris in two sets to win 6-2, 7-5. At the No. five spot, Bellama had won his second set before retiring. Nanosky stayed undefeated with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Binkley.
The Sun Devils play at Northwestern tomorrow at 3 p.m.
Arizona State 4, Marquette 3
1. Matt Brooklyn (AZST) def. Trent Hagan (MU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (10-7)
2. Dusan Medan (MU) def. Andres Arango (AZST) 7-5, 6-1
3. Wes Miller (AZST) def. Stephen Shao (MU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Juan Carlos Rebaza (AZST) def. Niko Boulieris (MU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Mark Rutherford (MU) def. T.J. Bellama (AZST) 6-3, 6-7, retired
6. John Nanosky II (AZST) def. Brett Binkley (MU) 6-2, 7-5
1. Matt Brooklyn/T.J. Bellama (AZST) def. Brett Binkley/Stephen Shao (MU) 8-5
2. Trent Hagan/Mark Rutherford (MU) def. Andres Arango/Wes Miller (AZST) 8-5
3. Dusan Medan/Niko Boulieris (MU) def. John Nanosky II/Patrick Brogan (AZST) 8-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive