Top-Ranked Virginia Edges No. 8 UCLA, 4-3 at USTA/ITA Team Indoors
Feb. 16, 2008
SEATTLE - The eighth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team nearly pulled off a huge upset on Saturday, as the Bruins came within a point of knocking off No. 1 Virginia in a quarterfinal showdown at the USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championships. The Cavaliers (9-0), however, battled back from 3-1 down to eventually take a 4-3 victory over UCLA (6-1) at the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
UCLA came out firing in doubles, taking wins at court Nos. 2 and 3 to claim the point. After suffering an 8-5 loss at court No. 1, the Bruins came back to take an 8-5 win of their own at court No. 3. The point was clinched at the No. 2 spot, as Mathieu Dehaine and Holden Seguso upset 17th-ranked Ted Angelinos/Lee Singer, 8-4.
Despite the doubles setback, the Cavaliers were able to even the match once singles play began, as Sanam Singh defeated Bruin junior Michael Look, 6-1, 6-3 at court No. 4. UCLA, however, would take a 3-1 lead following a pair of upsets by Jeremy Drean and Seguso. Drean downed 83rd-ranked Houston Barrick, 7-5, 6-4, while Seguso topped 12th-ranked Treat Huey, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2.
At the point of Seguso's victory, all three remaining matches were extremely close, and Virginia needed to win all three to avoid the upset. Third-ranked Dominic Inglot kept the Cavaliers in it, as he was able to edge No. 32 Dehaine, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 at court No. 3. Another Virginia win soon followed, as Angelinos downed UCLA freshman Nick Meister, 7-5, 6-4 at court No. 6.
With the match tied at 3-3, the deciding point came down to court No. 1, where top-ranked and defending NCAA Singles Champion Somdev Devvarman of Virginia was in a battle with Bruin senior Harel Srugo. Despite dropping the first set, Devvarman was able to battle back for an eventual 6-7, 6-3, 6-4 win over Srugo, clinching a 4-3 win for the Cavaliers.
UCLA will face No. 21 Oklahoma State in a consolation match on Sunday at 8:00 a.m.
No. 1 Virginia 4, No. 8 UCLA 3
1. (1) Devvarman/Huey (UVA) def. Meister/Srugo (UCLA) 8-5
2. Dehaine/Seguso (UCLA def. (17) Angelinos/Lee Singer (UVA) 8-4
3. Drean/Look (UCLA) def. Barrick/Michael Shabaz (UVA) 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. (1) Somdev Devvarman (UVA) def. Harel Srugo (UCLA) 6-7, 6-3, 6-4
2. (3) Dominic Inglot (UVA) def. (32) Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6
3. Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. (12) Treat Huey (UVA) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
4. Sanam Singh (UVA) def. Michael Look (UCLA) 6-1, 6-3
5. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. (83) Houston Barrick (UVA) 7-5, 6-4
6. Ted Angelinos (UVA) def. Nick Meister (UCLA) 7-5, 6-4
Singles Order of Finish: 4,5,3,2,6,1