No. 11 Golden Bears Drop Washington State 6-1 For First Pac-10 Win
Feb. 22, 2008
PULLMAN, Wash. -
The No. 11 California women's tennis team (5-2, 1-0) won its third straight match with a 6-1 victory over No. 44 Washington State (8-2, 0-1) today at the Simmelink Tennis Courts at Hollingbery Fieldhouse in Pullman, Wash. The match was the first in Pac-10 Conference play for both teams. With the win, the Golden Bears have won their last three conference openers.
Senior No. 41 Cristina Visico sealed the match for the Bears, winning the only three-set match of the day against Ekaterina Kamendova on court three. Visico dismissed a Kamendova first set victory to return with a 6-0, 6-2 run through the second and third to put the match away for the team. Cal took the doubles point with wins on all three courts. Freshman Rachael Dillon and senior Daron Moore teamed up on court three to get an 8-3 victory against Bianca Selaru and Aleksandra Stefanova. Dillon and Moore played three matches together in fall tournaments and came away with a 2-1 record.
In singles play, freshman No. 52 Marina Cossou gave the Bears a 2-0 lead when she defeated Stefanova on court two 6-4, 6-1. Junior No. 83 Claire Ilcinkas was next to finish on court four, getting the 6-3, 6-1 win over Selaru. The Cougars got their only point of the day on court one when senior No. 91 Ekaterina Burduli defeated senior No. 7 Susie Babos 6-3, 6-2. After Visico gave the Bears their fourth point, senior Stephanie Kusano completed a 6-2, 6-0 win over Jessica Gomez on court six. As the final match left in play, junior No. 87 Bojana Bobusic completed play for the day by fighting out the 6-1, 7-5 win against Aleksandra Cekic on court five.
The Bears will travel to Seattle, Wash. tonight and get ready to face No. 43 Washington at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in a 12 noon match tomorrow.
No. 11 California 6, No. 44 Washington State 1
Feb. 22, 2008 | Simmelink Courts at Hollingbery Fieldhouse | Pullman, Wash.
1. Babos/Kusano (CAL) def. Burduli/Kamendova (WSU) 8-5
2. Cossou/Ilcinkas (CAL) def. Cekic/Gomez (WSU) 8-5
3. Dillon/Moore (CAL) def. Selaru/Stefanova (WSU) 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 1*, 3 (California wins doubles point)
1. No. 91 Ekaterina Burduli (WSU) def. No. 7 Susie Babos (CAL) 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 52 Marina Cossou (CAL) def. Aleksandra Stefanova (WSU) 6-4, 6-1
3. No. 41 Cristina Visico (CAL) def. Ekaterina Kamendova (WSU) 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. No. 83 Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) def. Bianca Selaru (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. No. 87 Bojana Bobusic (CAL) def. Aleksandra Cekic (WSU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Stephanie Kusano (CAL) def. Jessica Gomez (WSU) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 4, 1, 3*, 6, 5