No. 7 USC Sweeps No. 34 Arizona
Feb. 22, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 7 USC men's tennis team posted its first sweep of the year with a 7-0 sweep that was anything but smooth over No. 34 Arizona. After eking out the doubles point with two tiebreaker wins, the Trojans managed three straight-set singles wins to clinch victory, but the final three matches were three-setters. With the win, USC improves to 9-2 on the year.
Doubles play saw down-to-the-wire wins from #3 Farah/Van't Hof at the No. 1 position and Magdas/Piotrowski at the No. 3 slot. Farah/Van't Hof edged Arizona's Christen/Goldman 9-8 (6), and Magdas/Piotrowski pulled out a 9-8 (4) decision over Metham/Carrasco to follow up an 8-4 loss at the No. 2 position by Poldma/Sacks.
As the teams rolled into singles play, Gary Sacks pushed USC ahead 2-0 with his 6-1, 6-3 win over Peter Zimmer at the No. 4 position. Jaak Poldma followed with a similarly strong 6-2, 6-1 win over Andres Carrasco at No. 3. And from his No. 6 position, Abdullah Magdas finally got up a break in the second set and held on to post a 7-6, 6-3 win over Ravid Hazi, clinching the match for the Trojans. The remaining three matches flowed into third sets, however. At No. 1, Robert Farah came back against Claudio Christen and won the match when Christen retired due to injury with Farah ahead 4-6, 6-3, 3-0. Kaes Van't Hof fended off Jay Goldman at the No. 2 slot next, getting a 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 win for a 6-0 USC advantage. And rounding out the match was another late surge coming from Jason McNaughton at No. 5, who posted a 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 win over Bruno Alcala.
USC next hosts #48 on Saturday (Feb. 23) at 1 p.m. at Marks Stadium for a chance at the Trojans' 10th win of the year.
#7 USC 7, #34 Arizona 0
(1) #3 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Christen/Goldman (ARIZ) - 9-8 (6)
(2) Alcala/Hazi (ARIZ) def. Poldma/Sacks (USC) - 8-4
(3) Madgas/Piotrowski (USC) def. Metham/Carrasco (ARIZ) - 9-8 (4)
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #7 Robert Farah (USC) def. Claudio Christen (ARIZ) - 4-6, 6-3, 3-0 ret. inj.
(2) #89 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. #79 Jay Goldman (ARIZ) - 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
(3) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Andres Carrasco (ARIZ) - 6-2, 6-1
(4) #48 Gary Sacks (USC) def. Peter Zimmer (ARIZ) - 6-1, 6-3
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Bruno Alcala (ARIZ) - 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
(6) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Ravid Hazi (ARIZ) - 7-6, 6-3*
Order of finish: 4, 3, 6*, 1, 2, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive