Nedunchezhiyan Seals Men's Tennis Win Over Ducks
Feb. 29, 2008
EUGENE, Ore. - The 27th-ranked Washington men's tennis team picked up its first road win of the season, sweeping the doubles point and the top three singles matches for a 4-3 win at Oregon at the Student Tennis Center. The Huskies (7-4, 0-0 Pac-10) clinched the non-conference victory when freshman Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan put away Francisco Gallardo at No. 2 singles in the third set.
Nedunchezhiyan dropped the first set to Gallardo, but then won convincingly from there on, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2. That gave the Huskies a 4-2 lead, with Oregon pulling closer in the end after freshman Tobi Obenaus gave out to Oregon's Stephen Wiechert at No. 6 singles. Obenaus won the first set easily, 6-2, but lost momentum after a second set tiebreak loss.
Junior Patrik Fischer commanded the No. 1 singles spot for the Huskies today, and drubbed Marcos Verdasco, 6-3, 6-1. Senior captain Andy Kuharszky also had one of his strongest outings of the dual season, handling Alexander Cordelissen, 6-1, 6-2.
Junior Ryo Sekiguchi had his seven-match winning streak snapped, as he fell to Romeo Mortera 7-5, 6-1 at fourth singles. Oregon scored at No. 5 singles as well, where UO's Geoff Embry defeated sophomore Derek Drabble in straight sets.
The Huskies continue to gel in doubles play, as they won all three matches. Fischer and Nedunchezhiyan's 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles was as close as the Ducks would get today. UW earned the 1-0 lead that would eventually prove to be the difference.
Washington and Oregon will play their Pac-10 counting match in Seattle on April 19. The Huskies will now remain in Eugene to play a neutral site match against the no. 59 Denver Pioneers on Saturday at 2 p.m.
Washington Men's Tennis
2/29/08 - Eugene, Ore.
Student Tennis Center
No. 27 Washington 4, Oregon 3
1. Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Verdasco/Embry (UO), 8-5
2. Kuharszky/Drabble (UW) def. Cornelissen Mortera (UO), 8-4
3. Martin Kildahl/Obenaus (UW) def. Gallardo/Wiechert (UO), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Marcos Verdasco (UO), 6-3, 6-1
2. Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Francisco Gallardo (UO), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Alexander Cornelissen (UO), 6-1, 6-2
4. Romeo Mortera (UO) def. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW), 7-5, 6-1
5. Geoff Embry (UO) def. Derek Drabble (UW), 6-2, 6-4
6. Stephen Wiechert (UO) def. Tobi Obenaus (UW), 2-6, 7-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 1, 4, 2, 6