No. 13 Women's Tennis Shuts Out UC Santa Barbara 7-0
March 2, 2008
The day started with the Devils winning easily at the No.3 doubles spot when freshmen Kelcy McKenna and Micaela Hein added another win to their dual match streak, beating Toua Hausman and Britney Kausen 8-0. The doubles point was captured for the Devils shortly afterward, as sophomore Nadia Abdala and junior Laila Abdala took out Marta Simic and Charlotte Scatliffe 8-4 at the No. 1 spot. Seniors Jessica Leitch and Wendy Pilecka got their sixth doubles win of the season in their 8-3 defeat of the No. 2 UCSB team of Jill Damion and Asagi Onaga.
In singles, the Gauchos put up a good fight but ASU showed poise and swept the Gauchos, scoring straight set wins in five of the six matches. The only three set match came at No. 2, when McKenna dropped the first set 6-3 to Jill Damion and then came back to win 12 out of the last 13 games for a final score of 3-6, 6-0, 6-1. At No. 5, Wendy Pilecka sealed the sweep for the Sun Devils, defeating Toua Housman 6-4, 6-3.
Next weekend the Sun Devils go on the road for the first time this duel season and continue their Pac-10 play when they take on the California Golden Bears and the Stanford Cardinal. The Devils return to the
- N. Abdala & L. Abdala (ASU) def. M. Simic & C. Scattliffe (UCSB) 8-4
- W. Pilecka & J. Leitch (ASU) def. J. Damion & A. Onagi (UCSB) 8-3
- K. McKenna & M. Hein (ASU) def. T. Housman & B. Kausen (UCSB) 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
- Nadia Abdala (ASU) def. Marta Simic (UCSB) 6-1 6-3
- Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Jill Damion (UCSB) 3-6 6-0 6-1
- Laila Abdala (ASU) def. Charlotte Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-2 6-1
- Ashlee Brown (ASU) def. Asagi Onaga (UCSB) 6-1 6-3
- Wendy Pilecka (ASU) def. Toua Housman (UCSB) 6-4 6-3
- Jessica Leitch (ASU) def. Brittany Kausen (UCSB) 6-2 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 4, 6, 1, 2, 5