Chan's Win Not Enough for Dawgs vs. No. 7 USC
March 7, 2008
LOS ANGELES - Standout freshman Venise Chan earned another in a series of upsets over one of the best in college tennis, but it was the day's only win for the 34th-ranked Husky women's tennis team. No. 7 USC overpowered the Huskies 6-1 at Marks Stadium, dropping UW to 9-4 overall and 0-3 in Pac-10 play.
Chan was matched up against 2006 and 2007 NCAA Singles Runner-Up and 2007 Pac-10 Champion Lindsey Nelson at the No. 1 singles spot. After falling in the first set, 6-4, Chan found her rhythm, hanging a 6-2 set win on the board. At this point USC had already clinched the team win, so the two played a super-tiebreak in lieu of a full third set. Chan came out on top, 10-6, in the breaker for her second career win over a Top-40 player.
From there the Women of Troy proved too deep on this day. USC took each match from second through sixth singles in straight sets. In the other match between two ranked players, 2007 ITA National Rookie of the Year Sarah Fansler defeated 98th-ranked senior Tara Simpson, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 3 singles for just the second dual match loss for Simpson.
Sophomore Aleksandra Malovic couldn't keep up with 17th-ranked Amanda Fink at No. 2 singles, losing 6-2, 6-2. Sophomore Joyce Ardies also lost to 66th-ranked Gabriela Niculescu, 6-2, 6-0 at No. 4 singles.
USC also swept the doubles point, but not without a fight from Simpson and Ardies at the No. 1 spot. Facing the nation's eighth-ranked team of Fink and Niculescu, Ardies and Simpson forced a tiebreak at five games apiece due to USC having clinched the point. The Husky captains came up short though in the breaker, losing 7-3.
Things don't get much easier for the Huskies, who play ninth-ranked UCLA tomorrow at 11 a.m. The Bruins did not lose a single starter from the 2007 squad which reached the NCAA Final.
Washington Women's Tennis
3/7/08 - Los Angeles, Calif.
No. 7 USC 6, No. 34 Washington 1
1. (8) Fink/Niculescu (USC) def. Ardies/Simpson (WASH) - 6-5 (3)
2. Nelson/Andrews (USC) def. Anonsen/Chan (WASH) - 8-2
3. Kinstler/Fransler (USC) def. Malovic/Radunovic (WASH) - 8-1
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1. Venise Chan (WASH) def. (38) Lindsey Nelson (USC) - 4-6, 6-2, (10-6)
2. (17) Amanda Fink (USC) def. Aleksandra Malovic (WASH) - 6-2, 6-2
3. (119) Sarah Fansler (USC) def. (98) Tara Simpson (WASH) - 6-2, 6-1
4. (66) Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Joyce Ardies (WASH) - 6-2, 6-0
5. (101) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) def. Vanja Radunovic (WASH) - 6-1, 6-1
6. Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) def. Kelsey Anonsen (WASH) - 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2, 5, 6, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive